• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone recommend me button down white shirt?

phatty123

Reaction score
Would like to wear this under my v neck sweater from banana republic. I have one from the GAP before and it was way too big. Bought a medium one and i'm 5'8 and 160lbs and the shirt was just too oversized. Then i bought a banana republic stretch poplin dress shirt in white in small. However, the shirt worn out and the bad thing about that dress shirt was that it was a see thru shirt as well.

Can someone recommend me what brand to buy just a white button down shirt? I would assume no pocket on the shirt would be preferred right? I'm checked banana republic today and the shirt either had a pocket or it was just way too loose. I'm 5'8 and around 160lbs so would you guys say Small is usually the best size for me? That is the size i buy for regular button down shirts from lacoste and banana republic.

I just want a white dress shirt where you can see the collar and then wearing a V neck sweater over it.

Price range, I just don't want to spend over $100 for it but i don't want to spend under $40 because that probably would be a horrible shirt and the collar would mess up. I read online that a button down white shirt is an essential and I do not have one in my closet. They also said don't spend too little because material is bad and don't spend too much because the shirt can get bad quickly.

I live in new york city by the way. So can someone recommend me some places and what brand? I would like to go and get it today. Thanks.

What do you guys think about jcrew and say express?

http://www.express.com/1mx-fitted-st...1#BVRRWidgetID

They don't have it in my size but the white one looks pretty decent to my eyes.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nobody wears white button downs anymore, problem solved.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cotton spandex blend
facepalm.gif

dks202

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Nobody wears white button downs anymore, problem solved.

Baloney. Try Kenneth Gordon, Gitman Brothers, J Press. All under $100 when on sale, pinpoint or oxford cloth.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
Would like to wear this under my v neck sweater from banana republic. I have one from the GAP before and it was way too big. Bought a medium one and i'm 5'8 and 160lbs and the shirt was just too oversized. Then i bought a banana republic stretch poplin dress shirt in white in small. However, the shirt worn out and the bad thing about that dress shirt was that it was a see thru shirt as well.

Can someone recommend me what brand to buy just a white button down shirt? I would assume no pocket on the shirt would be preferred right? I'm checked banana republic today and the shirt either had a pocket or it was just way too loose. I'm 5'8 and around 160lbs so would you guys say Small is usually the best size for me? That is the size i buy for regular button down shirts from lacoste and banana republic.

I just want a white dress shirt where you can see the collar and then wearing a V neck sweater over it.

Price range, I just don't want to spend over $100 for it but i don't want to spend under $40 because that probably would be a horrible shirt and the collar would mess up. I read online that a button down white shirt is an essential and I do not have one in my closet. They also said don't spend too little because material is bad and don't spend too much because the shirt can get bad quickly.

I live in new york city by the way. So can someone recommend me some places and what brand? I would like to go and get it today. Thanks.

What do you guys think about jcrew and say express?

http://www.express.com/1mx-fitted-st...1#BVRRWidgetID

They don't have it in my size but the white one looks pretty decent to my eyes.

here are some good ones http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=120807

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
his post reads as spam but isnt.... im baffeled

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123

lol you live in NYC ... HAVE YOU TRIED ANYWHERE THAT ACTUALLY SELLS CLOTHING?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
lol you live in NYC ... HAVE YOU TRIED ANYWHERE THAT ACTUALLY SELLS CLOTHING?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wurd!! You can get a white buttondown anywhere. Brooks/Macy's/Bloomies/etc. Not like you like in Podunk!

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
He repeats himself like 208340394834802349 times and thinks he's the most special flower of them all. Look at him. He's been around since 2007 but still hasn't picked up on the most basic forum guidelines.

yooalreadyknow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude

Go to midtown, its the part in the middle of the city

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i feel a new thread on the way:

"Can someone direct me to midtown?"

Cacatfish

Reaction score
This thread is a perfect example of why the search function doesnt work. Next guy that goes searching for "white button-down" finds this thread and reads through to find a couple moderately helpful responses burried in the clutter of cutesy, snarky ****.
If anyone actually cares about minimizing bandwidth clutter, then either respond with help or ignore the OP and let the thread die. If you dont care about stupid noob threads, then just continue on with the clever witticisms.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive never been able to find a white button down... i personally think they are really hard to come by so i bought a white button up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads