• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone recommend me a dress shirt to wear under a V-neck sweater?

phatty123

Reaction score
I wear banana republic v neck sweaters and usually wear a dress shirt under it to make it look good. However, all those dress shirts i bought back then were too big even though it was a small size from banana republic. I'm 5'8 and about 160 lbs. I mean the small is okay in term of fit but those shirts from BR are WAY TOO LONG.

Can someone recommend me a brand of a dress shirt that fits good and isn't too long? I mean the small from banana republic was probably 5 inches below my waist

eVITAERC

Reaction score
Two options:

1) Tuck in (WTF you're not wearing them tucked in?)
2) Give your local Tailor a 10 bill. Easy fix.

phatty123

Reaction score
Hi. Yes i am wearing it tucked in. But i mean assuming its not tucked in.... its real long.

But can you give me a brand that is good at these slim fitting shirts? Yes i will have them tailored.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's real long because the extra length helps it STAY tucked in. If your'e looking for shorter shirts that you can wear untucked, try SW&D. Everyone here will tell you that the shirt should stay tucked in, and rightly so.

phatty123

Reaction score
yes cptjeff i understand it should be tucked in. But would you say its bad if the shirt is just way too long?

eVITAERC

Reaction score
Are the sleeves too long? I imagine that's the only reason a too long shirt would be bad.

Exactly how long are they? BR smalls should be okay for 5'8" (I'm 5'7")

rain_dog

Reaction score
5" isn't long enough. Should really be more like 7", if you want it to stay in.

phatty123

Reaction score
raindog, how many inches below my waist should a good dress shirt be below my waist? I actually thought 2-3 inches was good enough...

Thinking about it, i think i was wrong in saying it was 5' below my waist since you say that isn't long enough.

eVitaerc, no the sleeves were not too long. I say they were pretty good. It was just it looks so long from top to bottom.

iand

Reaction score
Wear button downs under V necks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads