Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can someone recommend a tailor...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Jul 5, 2005.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

I just bought two new shirts, which will need shortening of the sleeves.  Can anyone recommend an excellent tailor who can shorten the sleeves from the shoulder, rather than the cuff?  Because it will be about two and a quarter inches, I don't want to mess up the cuff/ placket of the sleeve.

I'd like to send the shirts in the mail to the tailor someone might recommend.  thanks.

2. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Why would you want to do that from the shoulders ?? Any competent tailor will be able to remove the cuff, the placket, open the sleeve gauntlet and re stich the whole thing neatly.
    I think it's far more difficult to restich the shoulder, especially if the sleeve is a little tappered and thus the armhole would be too large when the sleeve has been altered. Not a good idea.

.luc

3. stache

stache Senior member

I agree. They will just raise the placket. Much better.

4. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

are you sure? I mean, can the sleeves be done in the way you describe, shortening more more than two inches?

Would you recommend a tailor who can definitely be trusted to perform this operation correctly, as well?

5. stache

stache Senior member

I have had shirts taken up 4" with this method. BTW, have you wet and machine dryed these shirts yet? That would help you.

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yep, they can recut the sleeve placket and if they do a good job with the stitching, it will look just like new.

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

I've had good luck with the method of shortening the sleeve by moving up the placket. However, if it's an RTW shirt and your moving it up 4 inches, is there not more body in, say a 15-36 than there is a 15-32? (That was a rhetorical question; AK answered a query of mine concerning something similar). This might be a factor for you.

8. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

yep, i machine washed and dried the shirt, to get any shrinkage out of the way, so it should be ready for alterations.

Stache, what tailor did you use for this (wow-- 4 inches shorter, that's major work-- if your tailor can do that, maybe mine will be a snap)

9. stache

stache Senior member

I used the tailors at R&S cleaners in Manhattan. They do a lot of movie work etc.