• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone please explain khakis?

linux_pro

Reaction score
I really hate khakis, with a passion, but I'm curious as to why they are so popular. I think they look super tacky and cheap, regardless of brand, and make the wearer look like an accountant who lives in Smallville and drives a Dodge Caravan to work. Anyway, I was just curious if the board might know why they're so popular, how they became so popular, or any other trivial info on khakis. Am I missing something?

marc37

Reaction score
What are khakis????? Can someone post a picture.

(l have read about these bloody khakis, but l can't even begin to imagine what they look like)

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because they're lower-maintenance than suit trousers, maybe? Khakis are made of cotton and can be thrown in the wash. They're inexpensive and easy to find. They're also quite cool in warmer seasons. You can probably find some pictures of khakis on polo.com. Edit: Found one from Google

linux_pro

Reaction score
I am wondering when and how they became so popular. I can understand the maintenance stuff. Going to the drycleaner is a pain ***********. My girlfriend generally hand-washes my wool trousers and hang-dries them. So far I haven't had any problems. Heh heh.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Manton would be the one to ask. He knows more about the history of this stuff.

But I do believe that khakis have been around for quite some time, despite their recent popularity with business casual people. There was some apocryphal story linking the creation of khakis to some British army guy in India, and the British haven't been in India for a long time.

marc37

Reaction score
Thanks Alias. l've always wondered what they were. They don't look so bad. They would go well with a navy blazer, light blue shirt and good brown shoes. Khakis are not very common in Australia. l have a pair though.

marc37

Reaction score
Look at these pants by polo.com. Hideous. Only a full time dandy could pull those off.
greenpants9tf.jpg
chechedpants2it.jpg

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or maybe a full-time clown.

PS. Lunar New Year's means having 3 days off of work and nothing better to do but to post on an Internet forum

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are very versatile and are good in a hot climate. Sort of function triumphs over form, if you will. I agree they can be hideous, especially those triple-pleated circus tents that a lot of guys wear. But a pair in flat front from Bill's Khakis can be sharp paired with a royal blue shirt.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Manton would be the one to ask. He knows more about the history of this stuff.

But I do believe that khakis have been around for quite some time, despite their recent popularity with business casual people. There was some apocryphal story linking the creation of khakis to some British army guy in India, and the British haven't been in India for a long time.
true story - the concept was developed by a field officer in the british army who was sick of his men nat being able to keep their parade clothes neat. they died white cottons with tea.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
They became popular when the GIs came back from WWII. Never fell out of style since.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 But a pair in flat front from Bill's Khakis can be sharp paired with  a royal blue shirt.
I bought these because they seemed well-made, but they wrinkled when I just looked at them, so I exchanged them for wool cavalry twills from Bill's (impervious to wear and can be worn to the office). Can't see why anyone would iron pants (or anything else)-rather use jeans on weekends.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not that sure of the origins of Khakis but I do know that they were a US issue trouser for our military. I'm a bit older than most forum members and when I was in my teens the only place you could get a pair of khakis was the ones your dad or grandfather had or you went to the army navy store a bought a pair of "real" issue trousers there.
As army/ navy stores became an obsolete so did authentic issue khakis.
Todays marketplace is so saturated with inferior products and that includes the world of khakis. The Gap, Banana Republic, Abercrombie, Dickies etc. in my opinion are all "Crap". Not worth a dime and have no staying power.
I'm a big believer in Bills Khakis, Bill Thomas has delivered a product that out shines all of them, true their a bit more expensive but you have my word, worth it. Their selection is broad and can be purchased on-line for those of you who are reluctant to" establish a good relationship" with a store of your liking. When we sell a pair I always recommend either washing and drying them a few times to get all the shrink out or add an inch to the alteration.
And to those who wish to query me on "establishing relationships" you can pm me and I will explain "Added Value". Sorry to sound so cynical, but us retailers really want your business.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can buy a pair of flat front, non-iron khakis from Banana Republic on sale for about $25, why bother with anything else? If I mangle them, spill crap on them, or whatever, who cares?

My theory -- jeans aren't acceptable for work. Khakis are the closest convenient acceptable alternative. Cheap, no need for expensive dry cleaning. Thefore, khakis are popular.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads