• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can someone help me regarding shirt fit?

ramair57

Reaction score
I am having a few custom shirts made, as I am sick of poorly fitting shirts off the rack. I have an athletic build, and I am sick of trying to squeeze my arms into slim fit shirts, just so I can get a clean look around the torso. In any event, I like the look of "high armholes", however, I am not quite sure what this entails. Am I mistaken, or is a "high armhole" just a smaller armhole? Therefore, wouldnt a higher armhole mean a trim fit all the way down the arm, as the sleeve would be narrow? That is the look I am going for (nice and trim), but I am wondering if it is possible to have a higher armhole and still have a baggy sleeve. For instance, how would a typical middle aged sized man have high armholes, if his arms probably have some flab on them and wouldnt fit into a slim sleeve? Any explanations would be appreciated, as I really want to understand this concept if I am going to shell out good money. I want some perfectly fitting modern shirts, and I know how resistant old school tailors can be, so I figure a little education couldnt hurt my cause. Thanks in advance!!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your wrist is smaller then your bicep/tricep area. Think cone. That guy with the flappy arms is just going to have bigger bicep/tricep area.

If you're having things made then leave it to the maker.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 61 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 117 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 17.9%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 7.3%