• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone help a newbie with dress shoe sizing?

Ameripudlian

Reaction score
I thought I had my shoe size down, but apparently I do not based off of my recent Beckett & Simonon purchase. To begin, I have two pairs of G. H. Bass dress shoes in 10.5 which I thought fit me fine all of these years. Naturally, I purchased the same size in the Durant Oxford model from Beckett Simonon, but the shoes seem too big. They give me blisters on the heel whenever worn for extended periods of time, and I would say there is about half an inch of room from the end of my toe to the end of the shoe. I guess that's why it slides around so much. I have even tried using the insoles they provide, but that does not prevent blistering. Should I buy a size 10 for my next purchase from them or any other brand? Or could this be a problem with their specific last? I could not find last info on their website, unfortunately. I plan on buying heel grips, so I hope that solves the problem. Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I had my shoe size down, but apparently I do not based off of my recent Beckett & Simonon purchase. To begin, I have two pairs of G. H. Bass dress shoes in 10.5 which I thought fit me fine all of these years. Naturally, I purchased the same size in the Durant Oxford model from Beckett Simonon, but the shoes seem too big. They give me blisters on the heel whenever worn for extended periods of time, and I would say there is about half an inch of room from the end of my toe to the end of the shoe. I guess that's why it slides around so much. I have even tried using the insoles they provide, but that does not prevent blistering. Should I buy a size 10 for my next purchase from them or any other brand? Or could this be a problem with their specific last? I could not find last info on their website, unfortunately. I plan on buying heel grips, so I hope that solves the problem. Thanks in advance for your time!

Hi there and welcome.
First off, I don’t own any Bass shoes and the other brand I’ve never heard of.

In general, it’s not uncommon to find that different brands fit differently in the same size. Lasts vary intra- as well as inter brand. I always recommend buying shoes in person especially if you’re unfamiliar with their sizing.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @Phileas Fogg — unfortunately it can be difficult to figure out sizing between manufacturers and even among different lasts by the same manufacturer. trying on in person is always best but your options may be limited depending on where you live.

Where do you live? If you live in the US, near an Allen Edmonds store I’d go there to get fitted in person. They make good shoes in the US and their sales associates know how to measure and fit shoes. Their “Park Avenue” model is on a well known last (called the “65 last” or just “5 last”) and it will be easier to figure out your size in other manufacturers’ shoes once you know your size on that last.

Reactions: AMH

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing I forgot to say is that there often is space between your toes and the front of a dress shoe—more so if the toe is extended for styling purposes. So having space in front of the foot is not a reliable indicator of whether the shoe fits or doesn’t fit.
If your heels are sliding up and down a lot when you walk then yes they do sound too long. A little heel slip can happen when a shoe is new and can go away as the sole breaks in.

Last edited:

Ameripudlian

Reaction score
The other thing I forgot to say is that there often is space between your toes and the front of a dress shoe—more so if the toe is extended for styling purposes. So having space in front of the foot is not a reliable indicator of whether the shoe fits or doesn’t fit.
If your heels are sliding up and down a lot when you walk then yes they do sound too long. A little heel slip can happen when a shoe is new and can go away as the sole breaks in.

I live in north MS, so finding a store in person is difficult, especially being in college and having to drive over an hour just to get to another city like Memphis. I have never broken in a pair of shoes, so hopefully that will help. I imagine I will have to continue to do my shoe purchasing online, meaning I need to find brands with generous return policies. Are either of you familiar with Yeossal's made-to-order shoes? I have been eyeing some for my wedding at the end of the year.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a college student (presumably with limited $) makes it even more important to figure out your shoe fit to lower the risk of wasting money on online purchases that don't fit. I would never, ever advise someone who does not have a solid understanding of their shoe sizing to buy a MTO shoe. In my opinion, it would be well worth spending ~3-4 hours to make the drive to the Allen Edmonds store in Germantown, TN.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in north MS, so finding a store in person is difficult, especially being in college and having to drive over an hour just to get to another city like Memphis. I have never broken in a pair of shoes, so hopefully that will help. I imagine I will have to continue to do my shoe purchasing online, meaning I need to find brands with generous return policies. Are either of you familiar with Yeossal's made-to-order shoes? I have been eyeing some for my wedding at the end of the year.

Do yourself a favor and make the trip. You need to find a shoe, last and size that works for you. Once you’ve nailed it down, then order online moving forward, but only if you must.

Avoid online made to order. It might end in a disaster and at those prices, avoid the agitation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics