• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone explain what's going on here?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I took this jacket to the dry cleaners a few weeks ago and haven't used it. But today I was trying some shirts and saw that the sleeves were short. So after comparing it versus some older pictures... to me it definitely looks way too short. Don't know what's happening. Any thoughts?

This is the jacket, before. Look at where the sleeve ended.

36586833276_e57b19b641_b.jpg

36486946335_b96e976bdf_h.jpg

Now check this.

40343391194_df46f0038d_k.jpg

I have used this shirt before with this jacket and it didn't look like that!

Here's with another jacket with the same cut and size.

26181260977_235ac94abf_k.jpg

Thanks!

paxonus

Reaction score
It isn't just the sleeves. Look at where the bottom of the jacket hits your thumbs.

paxonus

Reaction score
I had a pair of very good corduroy trousers shrunk by a cleaner. Fortunately they were roomy enough to let out and are still wearable. I no longer use that cleaner. Not sure what you can do about the jackets.

stubloom

Reaction score
What prompted you to take the jacket to the to the dry cleaner in the first place?

General refreshing? Stains? If stains, what were the nature of the stains? Water-based (Perspiration, juice, wine, beer, coffee, soda, etc.)? Oil-based stains (salad dressing, body oils, pizza sauce, etc.)?

Is that a linen or linen/cotton blend?

Is the jacket lined? Body and sleeves? If the sleeves are lined, turn the sleeves inside out. Stretch out the sleeves. Is the sleeve lining very tight or does the lining "billow" at the cuff?

If the jacket is lined, what is the lining fabric? Polyester or rayon (Bemberg)?

These are just some of the questions that need to be answered in order to make an informed judgement call.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What prompted you to take the jacket to the to the dry cleaner in the first place?

General refreshing? Stains? If stains, what were the nature of the stains? Water-based (Perspiration, juice, wine, beer, coffee, soda, etc.)? Oil-based stains (salad dressing, body oils, pizza sauce, etc.)?

Is that a linen or linen/cotton blend?

Is the jacket lined? Body and sleeves? If the sleeves are lined, turn the sleeves inside out. Stretch out the sleeves. Is the sleeve lining very tight or does the lining "billow" at the cuff?

If the jacket is lined, what is the lining fabric? Polyester or rayon (Bemberg)?

These are just some of the questions that need to be answered in order to make an informed judgement call.

I took it as general refreshing. I usually take them to the dry cleaner every year mostly because I tend to sweat too much in the summer. The jacket is a linen, wool, silk, cashmere blend. It is completely lined. I think it's rayon. And the lining looks "billow" at the cuffs and where the jacket ends.

Adam007

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I took this jacket to the dry cleaners a few weeks ago and haven't used it. But today I was trying some shirts and saw that the sleeves were short. So after comparing it versus some older pictures... to me it definitely looks way too short. Don't know what's happening. Any thoughts?

This is the jacket, before. Look at where the sleeve ended.

36586833276_e57b19b641_b.jpg

36486946335_b96e976bdf_h.jpg

Now check this.

40343391194_df46f0038d_k.jpg

I have used this shirt before with this jacket and it didn't look like that!

Here's with another jacket with the same cut and size.

26181260977_235ac94abf_k.jpg

Thanks!
Think the silk and cashmere element of the fabric has caused it to shrink

Adam007

Reaction score
Shame looks expensive could almost be a suit jacket

paxonus

Reaction score
What are the measurements on the jackets now that they are shrunk?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads