• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can someone explain how this is even a thing?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
44

Seriously, do desperate housewives actually play this or something? I'm so confused.
 

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
3,778
Reaction score
5
My ex used to play the DS version all the time. I didn't find it fun, might be a chick thing.
 

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
44
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
My ex used to play the DS version all the time. I didn't find it fun, might be a chick thing.

If there actually a point to it, or is it just wandering around and living your regular mundane life... but on a tv screen.
 

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
3,778
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
If there actually a point to it, or is it just wandering around and living your regular mundane life... but on a tv screen.

It's a cross between Nintendogs (which is like a Tamagotci) and mundane life. You tend to your farm, meet interesting characters and apparently people now. Collect money, buy stuff like a bigger house, decorations, etc... Cultivate and expand.

It takes forever though. I'm talking months to play this game. It runs even when you're away.
 

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
1,937
Reaction score
1
what a n00b.

It's The Sims with cute animals and less tickling. The "point" is to fish and harvest things so you can buy new shit from Tom Nook. The series has sold over seven million copies. I don't think there are that many women that play video games, so it clearly appeals to more than just "chicks." I don't play it, but I know many otherwise rational people who are obsessed with it.
 

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
3,334
Reaction score
1,568
I played it back for the gamecube. It was pretty fun, for a while.
 

unjung

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
6,569
Reaction score
14
Can't see the video at work, but are we talking about something like Second Life?
 

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
5,114
Reaction score
137
wow for women
 

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by unjung
Can't see the video at work, but are we talking about something like Second Life?

Animal Crossing
 

Kohan

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
230
Reaction score
0

Much, much better game for the woman of leisure.
 

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
44
OK. This is bugging me even more. Video games were invented to help us get away from our boring everyday lives.... but games like this, the sims, and second life are just a way to continue your boring everyday life... except you can sit in front of your computer and get even less exercise.

Who sold us on the concept of a game where you actually pay money for a simulation of your real life? How long until someone creates a game called "Virtual Yardwork" or "Virtual Laundry Day"????

Unless you're some recluse who has no friends in real life, I can't imagine why you would delve into something so ridiculous. Many times I've thought to myself "gee, I don't have much of a life", but even I can't tolerate things that are being marketed as games. I tried the sim once for 5 minutes, but never again.
 

dusty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
4,859
Reaction score
20
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
OK. This is bugging me even more. Video games were invented to help us get away from our boring everyday lives.... but games like this, the sims, and second life are just a way to continue your boring everyday life... except you can sit in front of your computer and get even less exercise.

Who sold us on the concept of a game where you actually pay money for a simulation of your real life? How long until someone creates a game called "Virtual Yardwork" or "Virtual Laundry Day"????

Unless you're some recluse who has no friends in real life, I can't imagine why you would delve into something so ridiculous. Many times I've thought to myself "gee, I don't have much of a life", but even I can't tolerate things that are being marketed as games. I tried the sim once for 5 minutes, but never again.


Animal Crossing is hardly a life-simulator. It's relaxing. Also, it was created by the greatest game designer of all time. You don't have any idea what you're talking about.
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
155
The Harvest Moon farm games are cooler.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 250 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 8.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.1%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,723
Messages
9,223,073
Members
193,608
Latest member
kirketalu
Top