• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone explain european pant sizing?

jmatt

Reaction score
What is a 52? A 54? Are they the standard pants that go with a 52R suit, or 54R suit, or is there some connection between centimeters and the number as ther is with Jacket sizes?

I'm looking for the REAL measurements, not just the rule of thumb, as found in suits where people just say (incorrectly) take 10 from the euro size to get U.S. sizing.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took a look, for you. Most of my Italian trousers, say 'taglia, 48.' A few of them, say 'taglia, 40.' Since my suits say taglia 48, and since I wear a 38 regular . . . I'd guess that we're talking about a 52 pant, fitting a 42 American suit trouser.

jmatt

Reaction score
Hmmm...

I wear euro 54 suits. I just bought some italian pants that were 52, and had to be let out slightly. That's why I wondered if a "54" pant was one designed to go with a "54" suit. If so, what is the normal drop on european suits from chest to pant?

A typical suit is a 54 Drop 7. Does that mean drop 7" from the jacket to the pants? If so, a euro 54 (which is a U.S. 42 1/2) would then have 35 1/2" pants.

Does that sound right?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid to commit to you, because I'm not a tailor, nor do I wear different brands of Italian garments. Mine, are all from Armani. So, truly I can't tell you more than what I've noted already.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's impossible to translate metric sizing into inches. Therefor we approximate using the calibration to inches. A 52 trouser for instance is considered a 36, a 54 is a 38. When it comes to translating coat size it is a different measurement, for instance a 52 jacket is really a 41 but most retailers will put it out as a 42. As for shirts a 40 which is 15 3/4 is a more accurate fit for someone who wears a 15 1/2 shirt than a 39 which is sold as a 15 1/2 but on a tape is equivilent to less than a 15 1/2.
As for pant size on a 52 jacket, depending on the drop (the difference between the chest size to waist size) could either be a 36 ( drop 6 ) or 35 ( drop 7 )
I know this sounds confusing but if you take a tape measure in hand you will see the differences.

Gary

Buddy Love

Reaction score
50 (EU) is about 34". Or most of my jeans and other pants are 34" and all of my slacks are 50.

My jacket size is 52 or 54 though.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

So ... European sizes... is quite simple... the measurement from shoulder to shoulder in cm.... defines the suit size

so a 48 means 48 cm shoulder to shoulder...

the pants size are sized accordingly...

so for example a 48 is like a 38R american and has pants size 48 that translates to a 42 pants... this is the measurement side to side of the pants waist.... so in total 84 cm and this is 33"

That's it... the others are measured proportionaly...

example ...

46 = 46 cm shoulder to shoulder... pants 40 = 80 cm waist equivalent a 36R
50 = 50 cm shoulder to shoulder pantst 44 = 88 cm waist equivalent a 40R

etc

There are also long and short sizes...

so a 48 = 94 ( 38L ) = 24 (38S)

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Hello

So ... European sizes... is quite simple... the measurement from shoulder to shoulder in cm.... defines the suit size

so a 48 means 48 cm shoulder to shoulder...

the pants size are sized accordingly...

so for example a 48 is like a 38R american and has pants size 48 that translates to a 42 pants... this is the measurement side to side of the pants waist.... so in total 84 cm and this is 33"

That's it... the others are measured proportionaly...

example ...

46 = 46 cm shoulder to shoulder... pants 40 = 80 cm waist equivalent a 36R
50 = 50 cm shoulder to shoulder pantst 44 = 88 cm waist equivalent a 40R

etc

There are also long and short sizes...

so a 48 = 94 ( 38L ) = 24 (38S)

I'm sorry, but that just confused me. Perhaps I'm just reading it wrong.

For one thing, I would suggest rechecking your discussion on european jacket sizing. a 54e means that 1/2 the chest measurement is 54 cm. A typical shoulder measurement would be 50cm through a variety of chest sizes, from 48e through 54e.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, here is the actual answer:

Suit/jacket sizes are 1/2 way around the chest in centimeters.
Pant sizes are 1/2 way around the hips in centimeters.

The waist means nothing. However, since most are either drop six or drop 7, a size 50 suit or pant is 43 or 44 cm 1/2 way around the waist, which equals somewhere just north or south of 34". You can do the math on the other sizes.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

The waist means nothing. However, since most are either drop six or drop 7, a size 50 suit or pant is 43 or 44 cm 1/2 way around the waist, which equals somewhere just north or south of 34". You can do the math on the other sizes.

Perfect!!! Thank you!!!

A 54e (generally my size) is a chest measurement of 108 centimeters, or 42.52 inches. A typical "drop 7" means 1/2 the waist is 47 centimeters, and the full waist measurement is 37". If that pant had a size listed seperately of "54" it would mean the hips, not the waist, were 42 1/2".

Thanks again.

The Grapist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmatt
Hmmm...

I wear euro 54 suits. I just bought some italian pants that were 52, and had to be let out slightly. That's why I wondered if a "54" pant was one designed to go with a "54" suit. If so, what is the normal drop on european suits from chest to pant?

A typical suit is a 54 Drop 7. Does that mean drop 7" from the jacket to the pants? If so, a euro 54 (which is a U.S. 42 1/2) would then have 35 1/2" pants.

Does that sound right?

From what I've seen in most brands, it's rather simple. Take the European size, subtract 10 for the US jacket size, another 6 (since most brands have a drop 6) for the pants.

A EU 54 pant would go with a 54 jacket, and the pants would be 38".

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

European Jacket sizes are not based on the chest but on the shoulder to shoulder distance in cm.

So a 48 suit has
  • a 48 jacket that measures 48 cm shoulder to shoulder
  • a 48 pants that its half waist measure 42 cm

This pants are labeled "48" because they match the 48 jacket...

But !!! some brands when the trouser is sold as a separate, label the same trousers as 42.... because this is the actual measurement of the half waist in cm... actually then the waist is 2 times this i.e. 84 cm or 33"

most common brands even label the trousers so you know the waist and inseam togheter with the corresponding "suit" size

so a 48 odd trouser would have a label that indicates

48 ( 42 / 82 )

that indicates 42 cm width ( 2 times to give the waist size ) 82 cm inseam...

the shoulder to shoulder measurement is like it is shown in the picture

However different brands have maybe different cuts so the measurements are not allways the same.. I have 48s that are more near to the body and anothers cut wider... even on the same brand...

27082006339.jpg

but the aproximation of substracting 10 for the US size and 16 for the pants size gives good results

mumbojumbo

Reaction score

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Grapist
From what I've seen in most brands, it's rather simple. Take the European size, subtract 10 for the US jacket size, another 6 (since most brands have a drop 6) for the pants.

A EU 54 pant would go with a 54 jacket, and the pants would be 38".

That is exactly the rule of thumb that is often quoted. Sadly, it is blatantly incorrect. A euro 54 suit, is 42 1/2" U.S. Anyone assuming it's a U.S. 44 will wonder why it fits so small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads