• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can side vents be closed?

DancingPete

Reaction score
Is it possible for a tailor to sew side vents closed? The vents are cut along the seam in the jacket so I'm hoping it wouldn't look like an alternation.

DancingPete

Reaction score
A poor cut on the original suit led to the two sides lying unevenly. The tailor believes to fix this, he would have to close the vents.

Anyway, most suits that I own are side vents and I don't own a ventless so I wouldn't mind.

Ebonyman

Reaction score
You might want to seek the assistance of a more competent tailor. Closing the vents on your suit will give your suit a very dated look.

DancingPete

Reaction score
Is that because you don't like ventless or you believe the procedure itself won't work.

I ask because I'm not looking to start a thread debating the merits of the different types of vents (there are enough of those). I prefer side vents but wouldn't mind one ventless suit. My question is if closing the vents give an awkward look or will it look like any other ventless suit.

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Whether or not the procedure will "work" depends on the skill level of your tailor. It's certainly possible to close the vents.

I prefer double vents on my suits but I have a few with a single vent (primarily BB). I made the remark about the tailor because I believe he or she is taking the easy way out. A more competent tailor might undertake the more difficult task of restructuring the jacket so that it fits more to your liking.

Again, not having vents will age your suit (stylistically) about 10 years or more....

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel that if the vents are successfully closed it is only going to make the fit problem more apparent that it is attempting to conceal. On top of that it will look like a suit from the mid 80's.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't do it!

DancingPete

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick and EbonyMan, I appreciate the advice.

While ventless isn't my personal preference, I don't think it's bad to mix in to a rotation. The rest of the aspects of the suit are modern in style as is the fit. Ideally, it would be a different, not a dated, look.

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Different would be more along the lines of a single breasted suit with peak lapels. Dated is pretty much any suit that is ventless, regardless of the other styling cues present. Trust us, the suit will appear to be from another period in time.

Good luck with whatever you choose. However, I would get a second opinion before closing the vents....

DancingPete

Reaction score
I can't argue with the wisdom of getting a second opinion. It could never hurt.

I just disagree that ventless is so terrible. I was through Europe earlier this year and found them to be quiet common. It wasn't long ago that it was thought side vents dated suits in America. I think all three options are acceptable as long as the suit is well made and not overtly belonging to an era. My suit doesn't fit quiet right but the workmanship is good enough.

Anyway, I appreciate the opinions.

DancingPete

Reaction score
It's at the tailor's now for a different adjustment. I'm to get back to him about closing the vents.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically yes but the appearance would be dreadful.

DancingPete

Reaction score
GBR:

Do you dislike the look in general or is it the alternation that would be bad?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads