• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can/Should I try to lose 10 lbs in 45 days?

imightbechad

Reaction score
My future brother-in-law's got a bachelor party coming up in April. It's at the beach. I want to look good.

I've put on about 10 lbs over the last year, and feel if I can lose most of that, I'll look presentable.

Would it be more advantageous to focus solely on diet or cardio/weights?

I know my situation isn't ideal, and that I should be working toward long-term fitness goals. But I'm in decent shape, pretty strong (10 pull-ups no problem). I've just been off the wagon recently, and I'm feeling a little puffy.

Any recommendations for workout/diet plans? HIIT? 8 bowls of Special K a day?

Chad

pdeng

Reaction score
I think if you're just aiming to lose weight, a healthy combo of weights and cardio shouldn't be too big of an issue. You could really just do like a 3 mile run a day, make sure you're just eating nice complex carbs (so oatmeal in the morning) and lean meats. Is it generally difficult for you to lose weight?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 lbs over 45 days is pretty realistic IF you stick to your program.

Diet + working out 4-5 times a week = all you need.

imightbechad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdeng
Is it generally difficult for you to lose weight?

Absolutely.

I'm pretty short, so even a small amount of extra weight seems to show.

I'm thinking oatmeal for breakfast. Tuna fish/apple/cheese for lunch. Chicken breast or fish for dinner, with some sort of complex carb.

Should I cut beer totally out of the picture? How about protein shakes?

Thanks for the tips,

Chad

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just eat much less then you will lose weight. always works for me

pdeng

Reaction score
If that's the case, yeah cut the beer. The times I've drank I always get bloated and it takes a few days for me to get back to being trim. Your diet sounds pretty spot on, count your calories and see how much you need and just keep a few hundred below it without sacrificing too much nutrition (which you can see on the labels).

As far as working out goes, I would focus more on cardio if you're just trying to lose weight. Otherwise spruce it up with some weights so that your muscles will bulge out and you won't look at pudgy. Protein shakes are nice but that's generally what you'd take if you're looking to gain lean muscle mass. Also, I'd advocate against any fat burners if you were thinking about them. Way dangerous in my opinion.

J Kelvin

Reaction score
I started on a similar goal (X amount of weight in Y amount of days for specific event) four days ago and gotta say, thought I've been precise in my intake and ran 5miles/60 minutes every day so far, the scale hasn't moved a 1/10th of a pound. My point being I guess there might be some lag time before the change of pace catches on in terms of starting to shed weight, making it hard to predict short-term date-oriented goals (my goal was a bit shorter than yours day-wise).

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Run at least a 500 KCal deficit with 1-1.5 g/lb of protein in your diet. Mix in a reasonable amount of weights and cardio in the form of high intensity interval training (Tabata intervals are really good if you are ready for some pain) and the fat will melt off you.

pdeng

Reaction score
Hey scrumhalf, from your title i'm guessing you play rugby?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to when I was younger but I am 42 now with increased work and family responsibilities, so I don't have time for 2 evenings a week for practice and games on Saturdays. I still love the game though.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to when I was younger but I am 42 now with increased work and family responsibilities, so I don't have time for 2 evenings a week for practice and games on Saturdays. I still love the game though.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow... that was weird... how did my reply get posted as authored by others?
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads