• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can shoes shrink?

poseidon

Reaction score
Is it possible for leather dress shoes to shrink in size after several months of not wearing them? Some of my oxfords which I haven't worn in a few months (no shoe trees) that I have left on the back of the shoe rack have given me blisters and feel significantly tighter after I started wearing them again...

Thanks!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possible reasons for your recent discomfort:
1) Weight gain = swollen feet = shoes feeling tight
2) Being on your feet all day = swollen feet = shoes feeling tight
3) Your socks are too thick for that shoe. Try thinner socks.
4) Improper storage of shoes. Shoe Trees should be inserted into the shoes to maintain their shape.
5) Lack of regular conditioning of the leather. Leather should be conditioned periodically (once per month or two) to maintain overall leather health and elasticity.
6) Foot injuries can affect sizing
7) A combination of above

Solutions:
Maintain your leather.
Rotate your shoes. Any shoes not worn for 1 year should be donated or passed on.
To revive a neglected pair of shoes, apply leather lotiion/conditioner with hand, working the leather. let sit 1 hr, brush, buff. repeate if necessary.
Get those shoes back on yor feet. You may have to wear them for 30 minutes before leaving home. The heat & moisture from your foot will aid to soften the leather out of its stiffness somewhat.
Wear the appropriate thickness of socks that best serve those shoes.

Also, as I understand it, certain things on our bodies continue to grow throughout our lifetime.
Head, ears, nose and feet all grow even in adulthood.
This is why women dread the old saying that sums them up from youth to older ages:
'From Class and Clothes To Ass and Nose.'
Hope this helps and welcome back to the forum.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads