• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can non Goodyear welted shoes be re-soled?

B-Rogue

Reaction score
I've been looking to buy some Oliver Sweeney and Jeffery-West shoes and boots for a while. I have noticed though that quite a lot of their models are not Goodyear welted. Does this mean that they can't be re-soled and once the sole is gone they have to be thrown away? Or is there any other method of protection for these type of shoes?

B-Rogue

Reaction score
No one has any ideas about this topic?

Macallan

Reaction score
I have had a pair of JW shoes resoled by a local clobber

From what I have seen from Oliver Sweeney, a dog urinating on them would be the best thing for them.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
I am sure that if you asked a decent cobbler or their manufacturer they would.

Not sure how to take that comment really, probably tongue in cheek? I don't have a cobbler near me and thought to ask here in the appropriate forum for some unbiased opinions.
I have had a pair of JW shoes resoled by a local clobber

From what I have seen from Oliver Sweeney, a dog urinating on them would be the best thing for them.

@Macallan: are they that bad? Are you referring to the materials used, workmanship or esthetics? I only came across them through a blog article which portrayed them as one of the best British brands apparently.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
google "resole blake construction" and learn for yourself

B-Rogue

Reaction score
google "resole blake construction" and learn for yourself

First of all please do not patronize me. Just because you have 5000+ posts does not give you the right to. I am well aware how to do research. Second, I am well aware that the Blake construction is resole-able and is not majorly different from the Goodyear welted construction. However these shoes do not use the Blake construction as far as I am aware.

I thought the purpose of joining a forum like this is to ask questions from other/more experienced people and learn from their collective wisdom. It's people like you who give newcomers a hard time with responses like this that and deter them from participating fully in forums.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First of all please do not patronize me. Just because you have 5000+ posts does not give you the right to. I am well aware how to do research. Second, I am well aware that the Blake construction is resole-able and is not majorly different from the Goodyear welted construction. However these shoes do not use the Blake construction as far as I am aware.

I thought the purpose of joining a forum like this is to ask questions from other/more experienced people and learn from their collective wisdom. It's people like you who give newcomers a hard time with responses like this that and deter them from participating fully in forums.

I am afraid that newcomers get the reception they deserve. You have arrived, become impatient and not displayed any effort at self help and that complained at everyone. Not the way to conduct yourself. Asking the manufacturer will give you the best response every time. You have already been misled by one blog over Oliver Sweeney shoes - lesson?

Macallan

Reaction score
Oliver Sweeney: crap leather, crap construction and if it is raining, best to leave them indoors.

I cannot comment on the current quality of JW shoes; however, the ones I purchased in 2006 were decent quality.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
I am afraid that newcomers get the reception they deserve. You have arrived, become impatient and not displayed any effort at self help and that complained at everyone. Not the way to conduct yourself. Asking the manufacturer will give you the best response every time. You have already been misled by one blog over Oliver Sweeney shoes - lesson?

Lol, if you have such great experience with newcomers and know that they are impatient then why can't you be more tolerant rather than making yourself sound pompous and arrogant? If you have nothing to contribute to the thread then why do you have to post arrogant remarks instead? And you have the cheek to tell me how to conduct myself? Have you ever heard the expression "lead by example"?

How can I display efforts of self-help? I have done plenty research and have not managed to get a proper answer to this question hence why I have asked here instead. I did not offend anyone with my second post (I assume that's the one you're referring to). I simply asked if no one had an opinion because I found it strange that at that point it had been viewed 100+ times but no replies were made. I may have been impatient but that is far from being offensive and does not warrant replies like yours or mr monty's.

Asking the manufacturer does not always give you the best response because quite a lot of times you get answered by sale staff who may not have a clue what they are talking about and you get misled. Hence why in a place like this you get a multitude of opinions which come from user experience and are unbiased (most of the time).

And how am I supposed to know that I have been misled by the blog regarding OS shoes? Simply because I got one answer in here from someone who does not like their products does not lead me to believe that OS products are rubbish. If a number of people post similar opinions then that is more likely to make me believe that is the case.

Last edited:

Xenon

Reaction score
Ok here goes

The reality is that resoling any shoes in 2013 is hit or miss. However a good cobler can easily resole goodyear and blake-rapid (the rapid part is important here) shoes properly. The key word being good. An average or poor cobler can also resole goodyear and blake rapid shoes but will either do damage and/or a messy glue job only. Far from ideal.

It seems a common misconception now that Blake shoes can be resoled easily. This is simply not true. Resoling blake can be extremely problematic and may be as difficult to resole as cemented shoes. The cobbler could simply leave the original worn sole on and glue a new sole but that would not leave the original profile intact and would affect the stance/pitch. If the cobler want to do a more proper job and remove the outer sole then there is a real need for the original last if the fit is to be preserved since once the blake stitching is cut there is only the glue that is holding the upper to the inner sole and that glue will like be compromised. Obviously the original last will not be availble for this operation. In fact there aren't many factories that would be willing to resole their own blake shoes either since blake is a construction approach for high volume, high speed production. Taking back shoes for repair simply is not part of that model.

Lastly asking the manufacturer and sales staff is actually a great indicator of what is possible. If there is any hesitation in their response than you absolutely know the reality is NO HOPE IN HELL the shoes can cost effectively be resoled and certainly not by them ever.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Thank you, Xenon. I have just started buying "proper" leather shoes and I'm aware that all newcomers in all hobbies tend to fall prey of hype and selling jargon so I'm trying to minimize that happening in this case. It seems like the first thing to do for me would be to find out a good cobbler in my area (although sadly cobblers are rare as it is). Failing that I will have to send the shoes back to the manufacturer for re-soling when this is needed. The service may be slightly more expensive but in the long run it will be more cost effective/beneficial.

And by the sounds of it it looks like I'm better to stick with buying Goodyear welted shoes only. the majority of the brands I have checked so far (Church's, Barker, Tricker, Loake) seem to produce either Goodyear welted or cemented sole shoes. Have rarely come across Blake welting so far.

I suppose I may have to consider things such as topying the shoes, etc.

Initially, considering the amount of rain we get here in UK, I was thinking of getting mainly rubber soled shoes but then I realized that that would limit my choices a lot.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not ask the manufacturer that makes your shoes? that sounds the best option for a question like this.
I also live in UK, luckily the rain has left for a short period. There is no problem to wear leather sole shoe in the rain,, just prevent new channelled sole (old is fine).

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol, if you have such great experience with newcomers and know that they are impatient then why can't you be more tolerant rather than making yourself sound pompous and arrogant? If you have nothing to contribute to the thread then why do you have to post arrogant remarks instead? And you have the cheek to tell me how to conduct myself? Have you ever heard the expression "lead by example"?

How can I display efforts of self-help? I have done plenty research and have not managed to get a proper answer to this question hence why I have asked here instead. I did not offend anyone with my second post (I assume that's the one you're referring to). I simply asked if no one had an opinion because I found it strange that at that point it had been viewed 100+ times but no replies were made. I may have been impatient but that is far from being offensive and does not warrant replies like yours or mr monty's.

Asking the manufacturer does not always give you the best response because quite a lot of times you get answered by sale staff who may not have a clue what they are talking about and you get misled. Hence why in a place like this you get a multitude of opinions which come from user experience and are unbiased (most of the time).

And how am I supposed to know that I have been misled by the blog regarding OS shoes? Simply because I got one answer in here from someone who does not like their products does not lead me to believe that OS products are rubbish. If a number of people post similar opinions then that is more likely to make me believe that is the case.

You now have two commendations to avoid Sweeney shoes including one here. Sufficient, two outplays one blog? What you say of staff mot knowing may be true of sales assistants in shops but does not usually apply at manufacturers at all.

Why should anyone be tolerant of newcomers who are impatient and rebuke people for not responding? No one has any right to answers here as you clearly state although in the last two years that it has descended to this level in some instances regrettably. Doubtless you will consider your conduct and continue as now, you are are of course so right in all things.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads