• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can music reflects personality?

loungesiva

Reaction score
As we all know that social life is very important to everyone, and we learn how to meet people by experiences and "unconsciousness". What do you think about judging a person by knowing his/her favourite genre of music? Does it tell at least "something" about a person?

turboman808

Reaction score
I didn't get the memo that social life was important can you resend it?

The flaw in your idea is that most people really don't give a **** about music. No one in my family is really a music expert/lover. My girlfriend doesn't know the first thing about music. I on the other hand have a degree in music and love Southern Rock.

I do got to say I wonder about my boss sometimes. I took his 750 one weekend and found nothing but Barbara Streisand cds in it.

loungesiva

Reaction score
I mean, human beings are not made to live alone (like sheeps), and we do need some sort of relationships or social life. And from my experience, types of music a person listens to can always tell SOMETHING about a person, or his/her lifestyle. E.g. People who listen to "all types" of music tend to be more outgoing than the ones who stick with only one genre of music.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure. People who listen to hip hop are dicks.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who listen to world music eat too much bran.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can starting juvenile threads reflects personality?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
How a person appreciates music can reflect personality, but specific artists not always. If a person associates his/herself with one genre of music instead of embracing others, that can say something about them as well. I don't think you can make a judgement on my person based on what i happen to be listening to since it can vary from gram parsons to nwa to sam cooke to the mountain goats

TowleY

Reaction score
I think it does.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7070321AA9uYJY
people who are depressed tend to listen to depressing music. People tend to listen to stuff depending on how they feel. I do it all the time. If I do bad on one of my exams my roomates notice me blasting all that remains but if I do well on it I blast Swizz Beatz. If that helps yah. Look at what you listen to it reflectsy ou.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i believe a person's taste in music says a lot about them.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reading someones taste in music would be a bit too one dimensional for me... my friends do however tell me that there can be a strong correlation between types of music and my temper/mood, as such they allways try to find out whats playing in my car..

oceans11

Reaction score
Probably the worst barometer of judgement IMO. Your personality, characteristics & moods change on a day to day basis. I may listen to Paris or Public Enemy one day (especially after reading some of the posts from some ignorant fools on this forum) & then listen to Led Zep, The Cure or The Cult the next day.

I don't know how many times I was pegged to listen to ONLY Hip Hop (oh gee I wonder why that is?) & then when someone was asking what I was listening to on my iPod they were surprised that it was She Wants Revenge or Chopins Nocturne # 20.

Or reverse it & have the same person find out that I have a playlist of Ska & early New Wave & then say, "Oh, I'm glad to see you don't listen to that rap crap". Uhhhh but I do!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics