• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can loafers fit well when made in an oxford last?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thumbing through Vass catalogue, and noticed that they make loafers out of U last. I have only seen and own loafers that made on loafer specific lasts.

Aesthetics aside, can good fit be achieved in a loafer made on an oxford last? I would have though the heel area in a loafer last is quite different from an oxford last.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many companies have lasts specially designed for slip ons.

The difficulty about a slip on made with an elongated last such as the U last is that it can result in heel slippage. To compensate you sometimes have to down size.

I am very wary about ordering slip ons without trying them on first.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the need to try on, but it is not possible sometimes.

I correct myself. Carmina makes loafers in Rain last, an oxford last.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alden makes loafers, as well as lace-up shoes, on the Aberdeen last.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know C&J has loafers on the 337 last in the handgrade line and my personal fav right now, the Merton, on the 348 last in the benchgrade line.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys size down from oxford size when you buy loafers made in an oxford last?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kolecho, did you come to any resolution on this? I'm also intrigued by the U-last penny loafers in the Vass catalogue.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I am very wary about ordering slip ons without trying them on first.

I'd go along with this.

Thing is, and this will be anathema to true shoe gurus, a lace-up shoe that's a fraction too big can still be worn. It won't ever be your favourite pair of shoes, but even if it needs an insert or heel pad or whatever it will still be comfortable enough to wear around and do a moderate amount of walking in.

Slip-ons that don't fit just right are annoyingly unwearable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics