Can leather be ethical?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ben39, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ben39

ben39 Well-Known Member

Just curious as to what you guys think? I believe in quality > quantity and products which last. I know larger companies factory farm animals, but what about the smaller guys like Tanner and Kenton Sorenson? Where do they get the material from? I really know nothing about it but I'm interested it.

2. dunga

dunga Senior member

Why wouldn't leather (animal) be ethical?

3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

It depends on who you whip with the leather.

4. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

[​IMG]

5. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

[​IMG]

6. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

This seems like it completely depends on your standard for ethics. If you believe killing an animal is wrong for any reason, then most leathers aren't ethical.

I've read of some leathers, however, that are taken from stillborns. I suppose that would be the most ethical. There's some company that makes belts out of such leathers.

7. mrtef3

mrtef3 Active Member

Just curious as to what you guys think? I believe in quality > quantity and products which last. I know larger companies factory farm animals, but what about the smaller guys like Tanner and Kenton Sorenson? Where do they get the material from? I really know nothing about it but I'm interested it.

Ethics are subjective.Attachment 56168
    [​IMG]

8. ben39

ben39 Well-Known Member

I'm not against killing animals. However, I am against factory farming animals. I try to eat local grass fed meat whenever possible. http://tuff-as-nuts.blogspot.com/201...l-leather.html From memory I think Tanner and Kenton Sorenson uses vegetables dyes and natural leathers. Maybe that's what I should look out for.

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I haven't eaten meat for 25 years but have nine leather jackets/coats and several shoes all leather. Not quite sure where my ethics are, I think factory farming is a disgusting mess but I also think cows are one of the dumbest creatures on the planet who wouldn't last ten minutes without humans to protect them from wolves. They contribute to global warming with their methane farts and don't even have the sense to lift their tails, just shitting all over their back legs the dirty dirty bastards.

10. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Animals taste good. After their skin has been removed, tanned and crafted into shoes, it keeps my feet warm and safe. 100% ethical.

Mike

11. mickey711

mickey711 Senior member

^and my torso. Shitstorm imminent: [​IMG]

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Animals taste good. After their skin has been removed, tanned and crafted into shoes, it keeps my feet warm and safe. 100% ethical.

Mike

[​IMG]

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This is all conjecture on my part, but I would guess that all leather (excluding exotics like reptiles) is a byproduct of the meat industry. I've never heard of anyone cultivating cattle specifically for their leather. I would guess that the best leather is simply selected from the massive amount of hides that are produced by the beef industry.

It is even possible that non-factory-farmed hides are simply discarded if it's too much trouble to send them to a hide processor.

I have no qualms with eating or wearing any kind of animal product, but I find it interesting to know about.

14. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Senior member

As someone who works in Public Health, and has visited several working slaughterhouses I think it's ethical...as long as you view eating animals as ethical. Spendling some time on the killing floor I can assure you that they use all parts of the animal. And I do mean ALL parts.

Enjoy your hotdogs and hamburgers....

[​IMG]

15. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

It's ethical as long as you make sure to sell the steaks to a butcher and grind up the rest of the innards to use as animal fodder. Don't be wastful.