• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can it work: Ralph Lauren Polo Button Down/Dress Shirts With Mid-Range Italian RTW?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say it takes the formality down a notch, but it be fine (assuming no horse/polo logos on the shirt).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Hmm, so any shirts with the polo player logo would not work?

Well, depending on how the jacket fits, you would never see the polo logo with it buttoned and rarely even with it unbuttoned.

Stupid logos....

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any polo will make a jacket casual, logo or not. That said, I would never mix such a plebian brand as Polo with Corneliani. People might think I shop at Ross or something.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i took your post to be tongue in cheek, but in case it wasn't , you should know that corneliani makes polo's otr suits.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a button down collar with a suit no matter what brand it was.

I would wear a nice button down collar dress shirt sans tie with nice chinos or slacks.

I would not wear a logoed dress shirt with tie.

I would wear a nice RL Custom Fit Regent Dress shirt (no logo) with tie and Italian suit anyday.

(Anyone want to buy the suit for me?)

kveldulv

Reaction score
I'd never wear anything below Black Label with any decent suit. You'll just end up making your suit look cheaper than it is.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Disregarding any prohibitions against wearing button down shirts with suits, do you think that someone could successfully pull off wearing Ralph Lauren Polo (not Black or Purple Label) button down and/or dress shirts with mid-range Italian RTW suits a la Canali, Corneliani etc?

I would say that there is no chance of success for a BD shirt with a fine suit. Navy blazer is an entirely different story, of course. Or a nice Italian sport jacket from Isaia or Brioni with an open BD shirt is classic, but not with a suit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear bd shirts with my sack suits but not with my sleeker Italian brands.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so any shirts with the polo player logo would not work?

Yeah, don't do it.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
I wouldn't wear a button down collar with a suit no matter what brand it was. I would wear a nice button down collar dress shirt sans tie with nice chinos or slacks. I would not wear a logoed dress shirt with tie. I would wear a nice RL Custom Fit Regent Dress shirt (no logo) with tie and Italian suit anyday. (Anyone want to buy the suit for me?)
Not sure the op was asking what you would wear.​

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you think there a visual difference between a high end white dress shirt and a "lower-end" white dress shirt when you have on a suit jacket? i like the fabric of a more expensive dress shirt because it is softer, but white is white to me =/

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can tell general fit and collar asthetics atleast when you wear a higher end dress shirt. Cuff details will be noticeable as well... Generally, I agree with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads