• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear these with a suit, or does it look too "rugged"?

ST33L

Reaction score
Do you think I can wear these boots with a suit without getting a second look?

It does look rugged as if they're for hiking, but at the same time, it's polished nicely.

The sole area appears to be left raw.

Please note that I'm not concerned that they're boots, as everything down to the laces should be covered.

It's mostly the toe area that I'm concerned with.

Thanks in advance!

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

ST33L

Reaction score
Definitely too rugged/casal for a suit. Toe shape, wrinkly leather, rounded edges on sole, and distressing - all make for a very casual boot.

They look like Guidi boots - are they?
Yes, they're Guidi - good eye.

Do you think that the average office worker will notice?

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... Do you think that the average office worker will notice?

They'll atleast notice the wrinkly leather and the distressing/antiquing. What impression they'll take from it - varies by profession and location I think.
Wearing these with a suit should be alright in workplaces such as IT/academia but draw adverse comment in law/mgmt-consulting/banking. Also if you're in rural rather than unban areas, they should be fine in most office settings (except for law usually, but I've seen some atrocious shoes on attorneys as well).

Last edited:

ST33L

Reaction score
They'll atleast notice the wrinkly leather and the distressing/antiquing. What impression they'll take from it - varies by profession and location I think.
Wearing these with a suit should be alright in workplaces such as IT/academia but draw adverse comment in law/mgmt-consulting/banking. Also if you're in rural rather than unban areas, they should be fine in most office settings (except for law usually, but I've seen some atrocious shoes on attorneys as well).
Thanks for the distinctions by profession - that really clears it up nicely.

I think casual wear and the occasional free-spirited suit day will give me a free pass to wear.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No you should not: I would be even harder on them - not with a suit in any circumstances.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you wear them with a suit without getting a second look? Yes. You can wear sneakers and a hoodie with a suit without getting a second look, it's 2015 the general public thinks anything that isn't a t-shirt is a "business shirt" and so on.

Should you wear them with a suit? No.

The discretion is yours.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are in a rock band...yes.
If not....no.

ST33L

Reaction score
How about Red Wing 9017 Chukkas or Wolverine 1000 Mile boots with a suit on a whimsical day?

Is that a no-no?

8877_o39_zoom.jpg

APWO-13S-W00137.jpg

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:brick:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An easy rule to follow: no boots with suits.

Well I wouldn't say that. There ar a number of boots that go perfectly well with suits for example an EG Shannon for just one. But in the OPs case I would say no and that inlclude his latest examples as well.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well I wouldn't say that. There ar a number of boots that go perfectly well with suits for example an EG Shannon for just one. But in the OPs case I would say no and that inlclude his latest examples as well.

I think that he was "dumbing" down his advice.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that he was "dumbing" down his advice.

You might be right, besides either the OP just doesn't get it or he just wants to troll.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics