• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear these boots with a Tux?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In theory at least, boots are more formal than shoes.... And these are really simple in design on an elegant last.... So I think they might work. Or am I just WAY off base with this one?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I vote crazy. But then of course I would, so my opinion is probably not worth much in this instance.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say "no," too. Yes, they're simply designed, like an unaddorned calf pump, but a tux is the outfit with the least amount of flexibility. Also, it's supposed to be the most elegant of outfits (arguable, of course), and boots would detract from that. Nice footwear, though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Might be a good option, say, for an outdoor event. If boots aren't otherwise necessary, though, I wouldn't do it.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As boots go, these are quite elegant. And back in the day, boots were what one wore with evening dress.

The dinner jacket was a rebellion against all that, however, and it seems a bit incongruous to wear relatively heavy shoes with what should be a light and elegant indoor ensemble.

But this is one of those areas where someone could get away with bending a rule. Sort of like the Duke of Windsor's suede shoes with chalk stripe suits. I'm sure not the right guy for this project, but you might be.

android

Reaction score
I might do it. I would make sure I shined the heck out of them and that my pants were not even the least bit too short.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
I'm an old punk rocker,and I say why not? Â
devil.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd vote crazy too but then again along with Manton I'm a hidebound believer in rules
smile.gif

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd vote crazy too but then again along with Manton I'm a hidebound believer in rules
smile.gif
I think what Manton was saying is that he WOULD wear the boots.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No. I was saying that I "would" vote "crazy" because I am a hidebound traditionalist.

Don't get me wrong; those are great looking boots. But I don't think they're appropriate with black tie.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Boots are appropriate with white tie but not black. When white tie evolved men wore boots and not shoes. By the time black tie arrived, evening boots were in the minority.

Those particular boots, though great looking generally, wouldn't work for me with formal wear.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Boots are appropriate with white tie but not black.  When white tie evolved men wore boots and not shoes.
The second half of this is true, but not the first, I think. Not anymore.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of pumps or patent leather oxfords. I've got a pair of black Alden cap toes that could (barely) work with the tux if I really polished them up, but cap toes are kind of inappropriate and Alden cap toes even more so since they're so clunky.

I think I'm going to have to go searching for some plain black uncapped calf bals, maybe a wholecut.

I hate buying black shoes since I almost never wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics