• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear my Tom Ford suit to work?

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I think it is easy to overestimate the general public's appreciation of the details on a suit. Most people out there aren't even aware that there are different types of lapels. Before I started lurking on SF, I was one of them.

This.

I work in a busy conservative office building that is full of busy conservative lawyers in suits every day. People barely registered the new guy's skinny tie and too-short and too-tight suits in odd, non-conservative colours (green, tan) and it was just another suit about two days after that.

Don't let the user base of SF fool you - there is only a very small percentage of the general population that will even notice, much less care.

adidasfan

Reaction score
Who the F wears suits to work?

A polo and slacks thats as formal as it gets.

What is the point in wearing a suit to work....i see these lawyers walking down
the street wearing suits and just wonder what the point is.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidasfan
Who the F wears suits to work?

A polo and slacks thats as formal as it gets.

What is the point in wearing a suit to work....i see these lawyers walking down
the street wearing suits and just wonder what the point is.

Obvious troll is obvious.

a-rock

Reaction score
Anyone know what the OP meant by upturned pocket? You mean an angled breast pocket?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nexus
This.

I work in a busy conservative office building that is full of busy conservative lawyers in suits every day. People barely registered the new guy's skinny tie and too-short and too-tight suits in odd, non-conservative colours (green, tan) and it was just another suit about two days after that.

Don't let the user base of SF fool you - there is only a very small percentage of the general population that will even notice, much less care.

This.

EZ

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
I wouldn't wear peak lapels to work unless (a) there was an occasion or (b) I'm one of the bosses.
4d36a73e.jpg

34b83c36.jpg

2e101f8d.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Ey Spoo, is not too loud to work the black striped one and DB for a people on his 30´s ?

I live life on the loud side, Spalla! And the first one is my only (and first) DB - I love it though...

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I wouldn't maybe on friday or something when it is less serious or something.

Korki Bucheck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoloPlayr
NO.

I'm no expert on TF or anything "fashion" but unless you're the founder/owner of the firm, I would refraing from wearing a "casual" suit which I can only assume a Tom Ford suit is. It's for parties. Not for business.

TF suits are not typically "casual." a) No one will notice; b) the people that do notice will recognize that it is a nice suit. Not like it's the glenplaid with patch pocket Lebron James version.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I live life on the loud side, Spalla! And the first one is my only (and first) DB - I love it though...
I like the last one, about that DB one, people would run away on the streets in my country if they ever saw one guy on that suit. By the way I have seen Ralph Lauren himself with the same one on a cover.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Ey Spoo, is not too loud to work the black striped one and DB for a people on his 30´s ?

Now men in their 30s can't wear DBs ? WTF is this sartorial Taliban.

FWIW, I ordered a DB with patch pockets today and I am 33 ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads