1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can I wear my Tom Ford suit to work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Buck Rogers, Aug 9, 2010.

1. SouthPhillyMan

SouthPhillyMan Well-Known Member

What are they going to discharge you because your suit has peak lapels? Get real.
    Wear the damn suit. Besides it's not like you will be wearing it every day. If you have meetings with clients or something then you can be conservative on those days. Otherwise rock out with you ____ out. (as long as it doesn't get you fired)

2. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Otherwise rock out with you ____ out.

Best with button-fly suits.

3. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Personal choice in my own work environment mostly since I'm pretty conservative and the peak lapel to me seems to invoke a hint of flash that should be reserved for more public occasions like meeting clients outside or events.

For guys who's work involves clients regularly, I think that's totally fine to weak peak lapels. It's just not what I personally do frequently.

I think it is easy to overestimate the general public's appreciation of the details on a suit. Most people out there aren't even aware that there are different types of lapels. Before I started lurking on SF, I was one of them.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Also, If you're built like Kunk....No one will say anything to you about your suit.

5. Butter

Butter Senior member

I think it is easy to overestimate the general public's appreciation of the details on a suit. Most people out there aren't even aware that there are different types of lapels. Before I started lurking on SF, I was one of them.

Yea, you're probably right.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Why ever not?

7. nexus

nexus Well-Known Member

This.

I work in a busy conservative office building that is full of busy conservative lawyers in suits every day. People barely registered the new guy's skinny tie and too-short and too-tight suits in odd, non-conservative colours (green, tan) and it was just another suit about two days after that.

Don't let the user base of SF fool you - there is only a very small percentage of the general population that will even notice, much less care.

8. adidasfan

adidasfan Senior member

Who the F wears suits to work?

A polo and slacks thats as formal as it gets.

What is the point in wearing a suit to work....i see these lawyers walking down
    the street wearing suits and just wonder what the point is.

9. intent

intent Senior member

Who the F wears suits to work?

A polo and slacks thats as formal as it gets.

What is the point in wearing a suit to work....i see these lawyers walking down
    the street wearing suits and just wonder what the point is.

Obvious troll is obvious.

10. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

Anyone know what the OP meant by upturned pocket? You mean an angled breast pocket?

11. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

This.

I work in a busy conservative office building that is full of busy conservative lawyers in suits every day. People barely registered the new guy's skinny tie and too-short and too-tight suits in odd, non-conservative colours (green, tan) and it was just another suit about two days after that.

Don't let the user base of SF fool you - there is only a very small percentage of the general population that will even notice, much less care.

This.

EZ

12. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

I wouldn't wear peak lapels to work unless (a) there was an occasion or (b) I'm one of the bosses.

+1

Why not?

Too pretentious

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I wouldn't wear peak lapels to work unless (a) there was an occasion or (b) I'm one of the bosses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. SpallaCamiccia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ey Spoo, is not too loud to work the black striped one and DB for a people on his 30´s ?

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ey Spoo, is not too loud to work the black striped one and DB for a people on his 30´s ?

I live life on the loud side, Spalla! And the first one is my only (and first) DB - I love it though...

16. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

No I wouldn't maybe on friday or something when it is less serious or something.

17. GQhustler

GQhustler Senior member

I work at an investment bank and regularly wear TF suits to work. The only comments I've received are compliments. Those who think this type of suit is inappropriate for a conservative work environment are a bit delusional.

18. Korki Bucheck

Korki Bucheck Well-Known Member

NO.

I'm no expert on TF or anything "fashion" but unless you're the founder/owner of the firm, I would refraing from wearing a "casual" suit which I can only assume a Tom Ford suit is. It's for parties. Not for business.

TF suits are not typically "casual." a) No one will notice; b) the people that do notice will recognize that it is a nice suit. Not like it's the glenplaid with patch pocket Lebron James version.

19. SpallaCamiccia

I live life on the loud side, Spalla! And the first one is my only (and first) DB - I love it though...
    I like the last one, about that DB one, people would run away on the streets in my country if they ever saw one guy on that suit. By the way I have seen Ralph Lauren himself with the same one on a cover.

20. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Now men in their 30s can't wear DBs ? WTF is this sartorial Taliban.

FWIW, I ordered a DB with patch pockets today and I am 33 ...