• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear an overcoat over a sports jacket and chinos?

Andrew0409

Reaction score
Every picture I look, I see overcoats over suits. But I never see any pictures over an odd sports jacket and chinos. Can I do that or does it look weird?

Bythenumbers

Reaction score
1596033398812.jpeg

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Of course! You can wear overcoats over anything -- they were popular in streetwear for some time and minimalists still like rocking them over a tee shirt!

Now, traditionally, an overcoat is cut to fit, and should only be worn, over a tailored jacket. A blazer counts as a tailored jacket. So... As long as it fits, yes, you can wear it over a blazer. If it's too tight to wear over your blazer, it might fit better over a single layer... But you can figure all that out for yourself.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Does a peacoat count as an overcoat? I always thought they look a bit odd over a blazer as it sort of looks like you're wearing two jackets.

JackEst3

Reaction score
@Andrew0409 you certainly can, if you need another layer over the jacket. More athletic zip-up coats or puffer jackets are too casual to be worn over a tailored jacket, although Brits sometimes do wear Barbour waxed jackets over tweed. Last winter, I wore a coat every day, usually over just some chinos/jeans and a sweater, sometimes also a sports jacket and occasionally a suit.

Does a peacoat count as an overcoat? I always thought they look a bit odd over a blazer as it sort of looks like you're wearing two jackets.

A peacoat isn't ideal over a jacket, because it's usually quite short, meaning that it may not cover the jacket fully. It's also a bit more casual than a topcoat or an overcoat. I'd say it's fine if it covers the entire jacket, but an at least mid-thigh length topcoat is preferrable.

Res

Reaction score

As long as the peacoat covers the jacket, you're golden.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads