• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear a pocket square to a funeral?

cappyg00k

Reaction score
Hey guys, going to a funeral and will be dress in all black, of course. However, I was wondering if you guys thought a white linen pocket square in a TV fold would be appropriate? Or should it be no pocket squares at all. Thanks.

mrchapel

Reaction score
IMO, wearing a pocket square could potentially draw attention to yourself, no matter how inadvertent it may be. Safe card says to go without; surely you can go a day in honor of the lost one without wearing one? My condolences.

TheMoops

Reaction score
Goddamn man, someone died and you're worried about a pocket square?
crazy.gif

Walter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheMoops
crazy.gif

Dont be like that.

Yes, you can wear a pocket square, as long as it is white.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yes, I attended a funeral a couple of weeks ago wearing a white linen in a tv fold just as you describe. It was barely peeking out of the pocket. I feel as exposed without a pocket square as I do without a tie; the ensemble just doesn't feel complete without it. As for drawing attention to yourself, at the funeral I went to the suit and tie probably drew attention anyway. I saw a guy in jeans and one of those big wallets chained to his belt.

My condolences.

Nonk

Reaction score
Not owning, and having no intention of buying a black suit, I wear a grey suit to funerals.

I wear this with a white shirt and a black silk tie. I have a black silk pocket hankie which I wear with it.

I use a quite subdued puff for this and have never felt incorrectly dressed.

Of course a simple white folded hankie in linen is appropriate for this, as virtually all occasions.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wore the exact pocket square you are describing to the last funeral I attended. The funeral was of a tailor, so I thought it was not only appropriate, but fitting.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he wants to dress up nicely out of respect.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My condolences.

I never wear a pocket square to funerals, out of a sense of 'I am not attired thus because I enjoy it, but out of respect for whomever.' Same with jewelry.

Also, all black is ok IF you are an immediate family member or a close personal friend of the deceased. If you're not, it is as if you are presuming the same level of grief as those who are actually 'in mourning.' BTW, if you do rate all black, wear the square if you wish, in that case wear whatever you want.

Regards,
Huntsman

stach

Reaction score
Orthodox for the most part still wears black to funerals.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am Greek Orthodox. I wear black, to funerals. A pocket square, so long as it's not ebulliently done up, is fine. I'd wear a white square, straight across the pocket. For me, funerals are a very, very formal occasion. I always get dressed up. At my mother's funeral, which was private, both my sister and I were dressed to the teeth. I'm very glad we made that effort.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I wore the exact pocket square you are describing to the last funeral I attended. The funeral was of a tailor, so I thought it was not only appropriate, but fitting.

"Fitting"? Was that a pun?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

That's about the only time I'd wear one. (sorry about the tailor...)

There are good times to play down to the mean, and a funeral would be one of them.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who cares?

It is a piece of freaking linen, it really does not matter one bit.

Sometimes I think we suffer from a great deal of overconstipation on this board.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads