• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can I wear a larger size slim fit? I am not slim

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
I don't know how you can tell whether a shirt is "slim fit" or not when it is covered by a suit in a pic. Come on now! If you think otherwise, post some pics of iconic men in shirts over the ages that were clearly not slim fit.
That's the point, is it not? The only thing that really dates a shirt are odd collar points, like the coochie collars worn in Goodfellas. I think you'd be hard pressed to see a fitted shirt as dated. Fitted doesnt mean 2nd skin. FWIW having a blouse-y shirt doesn't 'add mass' up top, in fact it makes a thin person look like a clothes hanger.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I guess we have different ideas of how a slim fit shirt fits. You seem to think slim fit means lycra. I just think it means not a tent.
I am against tent. I am against lycra. I am for a happy medium. For an example of what I don't like - for guys with guts anyway - check out Ralph Lauren's polo collection. If you look like those male models, then you have a lot to show-off and those shirts are fine. If you don't, then you will be showing-off your goo.

And no my jacket isn't on all day long. I work in the mid atlantic and south US. It's incredibly hot here this time of year.
Me too. I find that a shirt with more room is cooler to wear than my slim-fits.

Plus I fly a lot, keeping my jacket on during a flight wrinkles my jacket terribly.
Mine don't wrinkle much on a plane - but then again, I'm not flying to Asia or Europe much and maybe you are. If this is happening on shorter flights, maybe you need better fabric ... or vents if you are wearing the ventless wrinkle machines.

That's the point, is it not? The only thing that really dates a shirt are odd collar points, like the coochie collars worn in Goodfellas.
For dress shirts, agreed.

I think you'd be hard pressed to see a fitted shirt as dated. Fitted doesnt mean 2nd skin.
For you - and many around here, it seems - slim fit = fitted. OK then, I am for slim-fit shirts that are fitted. What I am against are slim-fit shirts that approach second-skin status ... like the aforementioned Lauren polos (for those not in impeccable shape anyway, which is not the OP by his own admission).

FWIW having a blouse-y shirt doesn't 'add mass' up top, in fact it makes a thin person look like a clothes hanger.
Depends on how blouse-y the shirt is and how thin you are. Categorical statements won't work here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I dont have time to make a visual display for this threak, maybe you could.

Aside from that I think we are in agreement on everything other than semantics.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
For blouse-y yet chic, I give you Dean Martin. For blouse-y yet stylish, I give you Fred Astaire.

jabreal00

Reaction score
Let me suggest you bag this entire slim-fit business. You are not slim. Put on a tightly fitted shirt and chances are you're going to look stupid.

In fact, this whole slim-fit thing is getting out-of-hand. You want a shirt without a lot of excess cloth. But there's no reason to put on a shirt that looks spray-painted on you. Unless you're a cartoon character, you're going to look bottom-heavy unless you're wearing the same style of pants.

I predict that in about 5-8 years, the slim-fit look is going to look ridiculously dated. Of course, maybe you don't plan on keeping your shirts that long anyway so don't care. Me, I don't like a photo album full of shots of me looking like a cartoonish sartorial time capsule.

What a useless answer. The slim look has been the style of better dressed American gentlemen since the 40s. It's only in the 80s to 90s that the baggier "power suits" came into vogue. A well fitting shirt, jacket, or pants is standard not just in the US but in Europe/Asia.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Stylish gentleman with a gut should wear slim-fit shirts - that is, shirts that pretty much give you enough cloth to cover the body and move in but little else? OK, post some pics and convince me. Fred Astaire was one of the most stylish men of the past century. And see above ... no slim-fit in that pic and - what do you know? - he looks pretty good to me. I will grant that you can find other pics of Astaire in slim-fit shirts and, yes, he looks good in those too. My conclusion - if you are in good shape, you have a wide range of latitude. If you are not - that is, if you are the OP - you have less latitude. And another thing - most of the slim-fit short sleeve shirts that I see have very short sleeves. Got a nice set of guns? Then wear 'em. Don't? You might want to give them a pass or you run the risk of looking like Pee-Wee Herman.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fred Astaire probably needed a little room for dancing.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Apparently not??
Apparently not. He's wearing pretty tight shirts in the above pics. And he's dancing. Well.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently not. He's wearing pretty tight shirts in the above pics. And he's dancing. Well.

I'll say it again: With high armholes, you can do anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads