• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear a khaki, linen, 3 piece suit/tux to high school prom?

drichards2013

Reaction score
Is that appropriate? Or should I stick to the boring ol' black tux?

davidnmaker

Reaction score
If the dress code is black tie, I suggest sticking to that. You might be able to get away with a dark suit, as the dress code at proms are not that strict, but I wouldn't recommend that, unless you cannot acquire a tuxedo. Proms allow for a little more creativity concerning black tie (matching/complementing your date, etc.), but one should stick to the general dress code of tuxedos/dinner jackets.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I know I "can" wear it. But is it a bad thing to do? Would I be laughed at? Would I look like a fool?

Whether you would be laughed at depends on who your peers are. I suppose it also depends on what the dress code of the prom is, although I think proms tend to specify formal wear. (Then again, it's been 25+ years since I was at a prom, so what do I know?) But it certainly sounds like the sort of thing that would make you cringe when you look at the pictures years later.
And there's nothing boring about a traditional black tuxedo, unless you wear one to school so frequently that everyone's sick of seeing you in it.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on what your school's culture is like. There are some high schools where the guys all wear black (or midnight blue) tuxedos, and there are some where the guys dress like Huggy Bear. There are some high schools where the girls all wear nice evening gowns, and there are some where the girls look like they're heading to "the stroll."

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
The "boring" black tux exists in its current state for a reason. Its simple, elegant, masculine, and in its simple white and black colors doesnt distract from what the woman is wearing. These days, you dont get many opportunities to wear one and look as good as it can make you look. IMO, dont waste the chance.....

Magnanimist

Reaction score
You can wear the khaki linen suit, but it--and you--would be totally out of place at your prom. If you really want to stand out in the best possible way (especially as compared to your friends who will be wearing every manner of loud, ill-fitting tuxes, here's what I suggest:

1. Get yourself set up in a classic black tux, think Sean Connery as James Bond kind of black tux
2. Peaked lapel one-button jacket
3. Black flat front pants with satin stripe on the sides
4. Crisp starched formal shirt, with winged collar
5. Black cummerbund
6. Silver/chromed cuff links and studs
7. Black HAND-TIED diamond bow tie (no clips ons)
8. Button on black suspenders
9. Opera pumps
10. Simple white carnation given to you by your date
11. Bonus points: trade the cummerbund for a black vest

Trust me on this, you will kill in this tux. Her mom will go ga-ga, your buds will be jealous and feel like rubes in their fashion forward monstrosities, and you and your date will have a fantastic classic memories and prom picture to remember for a long time.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear it.

For high school proms I seen kids wear suits with Jordans so you will be fine

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can wear the khaki linen suit, but it--and you--would be totally out of place at your prom.  If you really want to stand out in the best possible way (especially as compared to your friends who will be wearing every manner of loud, ill-fitting tuxes, here's what I suggest:

1.  Get yourself set up in a classic black tux, think Sean Connery as James Bond kind of black tux
2.  Peaked lapel one-button jacket
3.  Black flat front pants with satin stripe on the sides
4.  Crisp starched formal shirt, with winged collar
5.  Black cummerbund
6.  Silver/chromed cuff links and studs
7.  Black HAND-TIED diamond bow tie (no clips ons)
8.  Button on black suspenders
9.  Opera pumps
10.  Simple white carnation given to you by your date

Trust me on this, you will kill in this tux.  Her mom will go ga-ga, your buds will be jealous and feel like rubes in their fashion forward monstrosities, and you and your date will have a fantastic classic memories and prom picture to remember for a long time.

The opera pumps and carnation are grossly exceesive for a Prom.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can wear the khaki linen suit, but it--and you--would be totally out of place at your prom.  If you really want to stand out in the best possible way (especially as compared to your friends who will be wearing every manner of loud, ill-fitting tuxes, here's what I suggest:

1.  Get yourself set up in a classic black tux, think Sean Connery as James Bond kind of black tux
2.  Peaked lapel one-button jacket
3.  Black flat front pants with satin stripe on the sides
4.  Crisp starched formal shirt, with winged collar
5.  Black cummerbund
6.  Silver/chromed cuff links and studs
7.  Black HAND-TIED diamond bow tie (no clips ons)
8.  Button on black suspenders
9.  Opera pumps
10.  Simple white carnation given to you by your date

Trust me on this, you will kill in this tux.  Her mom will go ga-ga, your buds will be jealous and feel like rubes in their fashion forward monstrosities, and you and your date will have a fantastic classic memories and prom picture to remember for a long time.

The opera pumps and carnation are grossly exceesive for a Prom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads