• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I tell if I'm wearing my trousers too high?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The billionaire Malcolm Glazer, hated by the English for taking over their beloved soccer team Manchester United with borrowed money, is being ridiculed by the British Press for, amongst other things, "wearing his trouser waistband ludicrously high."
There are Mr. Glazer's personal qualities, which, according to various English newspapers, extend to rapaciousness, ruthlessness, meanness, megalomania, unflattering facial hair and a propensity, The Daily Mail says, for "wearing his trouser waistband ludicrously high."
The question is how I can tell if I am wearing my pants too high or too low? Â My rule of thumb is the waistband should be at or just below the navel. Â What's your opinion? P.S. Â Judging by the picture, Mr Glazer is no sartorial prince:
19glazer.jpg

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my trousers right below my navel as well. That is the only way my pleats lay down. The lower I wear them, the more the pleats stand up. I was asking myself the same thing after having some trousers made last week.

Now I do wear jeans much lower. Like right on my waistline.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my trousers right below my navel as well. That is the only way my pleats lay down. The lower I wear them, the more the pleats stand up. I was asking myself the same thing after having some trousers made last week. Now I do wear jeans much lower. Like right on my waistline.
by waistline you means hipline what you describe first is your waist, and it is where trousers should be worn.
thumbs-up.gif

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7,May 19 2005,20:17
I wear my trousers right below my navel as well. Â That is the only way my pleats lay down. Â The lower I wear them, the more the pleats stand up. Â I was asking myself the same thing after having some trousers made last week. Now I do wear jeans much lower. Â Like right on my waistline.
by waistline you means hipline what you describe first is your waist, and it is where trousers should be worn. Â
thumbs-up.gif

Yeah you're right. Â I realized that after I typed it. Â Sorry. Â I had a few greyhounds during and after dinner tonight Â
tounge.gif

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I looked like some sort of addled hobbit I'd be unconcerned with the rise of my trousers as well.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
You know you're wearing your trousers too high when you look down and your chin hits your belt buckle.
tounge.gif

anorak

Reaction score
capt.sge.oua19.120505134145.photo00.photo.default-234x384.jpg
They look a little high for me. I don't wear my trousers at the height of my first jacket button.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is how I can tell if I am wearing my pants too high or too low?  
If it arrives under your armpits = too high

If it looks like a baggy = too low

stache

Reaction score
If you have a camel toe, it's too high.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is less than an inch between your navel and the top of the waistband, you are wearing your pants way too high. Ifyou are wearing jeans with less than, say 2 inches to your navel, they are too high.

spatten

Reaction score
The answer to this question is really more complicated than where the waistband is in relation to your navel. It depends more on the shape of your body.

The shape of your hips compared to your waist is important. If you have wide hips and a narrow waist - then wearing the pants too low will emphasize your hips. If you have flat hips than it is too easy to wear the pants too high.

One also should take into account the length of the torso compared to the legs.

Extremes are probably wrong in any case - but I would error to the side that makes you look the best.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer to this question is really more complicated than where the waistband is in relation to your navel.  It depends more on the shape of your body.

The shape of your hips compared to your waist is important.  If you have wide hips and a narrow waist - then wearing the pants too low will emphasize your hips.  If you have flat hips than it is too easy to wear the pants too high.

One also should take into account the length of the torso compared to the legs.

Extremes are probably wrong in any case - but I would error to the side that makes you look the best.
That's a very good point because an inch from my navel with trousers and two inches with jeans is awful low on my body.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads