• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I stretch an 8.5C to 8.5D?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a pair of C&J wingtip balmoral in 8.5C and they're pretty tight across the toes, but fine everywhere else. I usually wear 8.5D. Can I take them to a cobbler and stretch them to a D width?

scugger

Reaction score
Yes, you can. I took my 8.5D AE Byrons to the cobbler and he stretched it to an 8.5E. He told me that he could stretch it more if I wanted.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I bought a pair of C&J wingtip balmoral in 8.5C and they're pretty tight across the toes, but fine everywhere else. I usually wear 8.5D. Can I take them to a cobbler and stretch them to a D width?

I have had it done once, to only one foot. It worked, they went so far as to heat the leather while a spreader was inserted in the shoe.
I would not make it a habit, but in a pinch, it can work. Are the shoes new and full retail or a great deal?
Would sending them back for a D be a better move overall?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
I have had it done once, to only one foot. It worked, they went so far as to heat the leather while a spreader was inserted in the shoe.

I would not make it a habit, but in a pinch, it can work. Are the shoes new and full retail or a great deal? Would sending them back for a D be a better move overall?

+1

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about stretching length wise? in a semi drunken stupor I bought shoes that will probably be a half size to short, though I think fine width-wise. they are a good deal so I would like to make them work if possible.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
how about stretching length wise? in a semi drunken stupor I bought shoes that will probably be a half size to short, though I think fine width-wise. they are a good deal so I would like to make them work if possible.

What I've done that does work a bit is the following:

1) Find a shoe tree that fits snugly against your toes. Be sure it goes as far up into the toebox as possible.

2) Take a half page of newspaper and fold it numerous times until it is somewhere around a 1 inch by 1 inch square.

3) Using layers of duct tape, contour the folded newspaper the top of the toe on the shoe tree.

4) Jam the shoe tree inside making sure the newspaper held in place on the shoe tree.

5) Keep it in there around 10 days and it should be slightly stretched by around 1/4 size.

Keep in mind the quarters will likely get stretched a bit as well in the process, but that generally helps in the process of adding more length anyway.

This all sounds a bit crazy, but it works if the shoe is just the slightest bit too short in length.

shoejohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
Yes, you can. I took my 8.5D AE Byrons to the cobbler and he stretched it to an 8.5E. He told me that he could stretch it more if I wanted.

Plus 1

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I took these to the cobbler and they didn't stretch enough; they're still too tight in the toebox. The shoes are wearable for a few hours but not much more. Did the cobbler do something wrong or should I just try to sell these shoes?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
try stretching a few more times with different methods.

1. I've wrapped my shoe trees with that stretchy long wrap for sprained ankles (extra focus on where the shoe is tight) plus put a few pairs of socks on it and then jammed it in the shoe so it's too tight, and left it there for a week.

2. The best method i've tried sounds a bit crazy but really works. there might be some minor cosmetic damage to the inside, just a warning. Hold the foothole over a steaming kettle so the hot steam goes into the shoe up to the toe. Within about 20-30 seconds you'll feel the leather warm and soften right up. Then either jam in the above fat shoe tree or your own fat foot wrapped in 2-3 thick socks. Crouch, bend, walk around, etc for 15-20 minutes as they dry and cool. or keep on as long as possible. This should really do the trick. the only problem I found was that the inside leather got a bit darker and the bottom of the sole (inside) sort of turned a bit matt on my AE's so they look a bit splotched.

Kazou

Reaction score
hahhahaha...wow Kent, amazing that you kept them for over a year since your first post!! I thought that they'd have stretch by this time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics