• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I sand my leather shoes to remove scratches?

thecentennial

Reaction score

Ok, so I was sold a lemon on the 'bay, and it aint worth my while to return the shoes.

Bought a pair of calf leather monks which unfortunately have 4 quite deep cuts to the toe area on one of the shoes. Bollocks, I thought.

Now I know people on SF tout the amazing properties of many layers of wax, which I have no dount are true for certain types of leather damage, but in this case I am positive it would not address the damage.

So, as I only paid $70 for them, I thought I may aswell have a go and give them a light sanding using fine grit wet and dry, to smooth down the edges and bumps, trying to level out the wider area around the cuts. Then blather with polish once the area is levelled off.

Anyone tried this at home? Am I a mental?

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, but only if you use a belt sander. It will give the shoes a more consistent finish.

RidgidBeltSander_BeltRelease.gif

is the new:

5042807213.jpg

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect that you will damage the surrounding surface and make something which is irritating unacceptable. Either wear them as they are , few if anyone will notice or even be concerned or throw them away if you find this mark intolerable.

thecentennial

Reaction score
No doubt I'll damage the surrounding area, the thought process being if I smooth off the area, then the polish will do the job of restoring colour.

My daughters school shoes are massively scuffed at the toes, but smooth - lost all colour - a few coats of polish has them looking good as new, at least for a week.

At the price I paid, I can afford to experiment I guess, just wondering if anyone has done something similar - would be interested in the results.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give them to your cobbler. If anyone can do something it would be him, but sandpaper is never the answer.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, as I only paid $70 for them, I thought I may aswell have a go and give them a light sanding using fine grit wet and dry, to smooth down the edges and bumps,

excellent idea. you can sell them on the sw&d subforum for a fortune.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

..are you a psychic?

well, being on sf for a while trains your senses.

seriously, as sombody already mentioned:

- take them your cobbler.
- have a look in the shoe care string. these guys are extremly helpful.

your issue has been covered so many times. use the search function and you are set.

good luck

thecentennial

Reaction score
Yeah, searched for a while, nothing specifically on sanding..and seriously, there are no cobblers where I live. Well, maybe a few camel skin sandal makers. I'm going to sand the bastards and post pics.

Last edited:

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Keep them overnight in a vat of sulfuric acid. :stirpot:

Seriously, sanding will make things worse. A good cobbler can shine them and try to cover-up the scratches.

You have to accept scratches in leather shoes. Even house shoes get scratches.

Good luck.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not wax, but shoe cream here might hide some of the damage.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
At 70 bones w damage, if they were mine they would be now demarcated for snow/rain.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never done this with good shoes, but I have had success sanding combat boots back in my army days. I would only advise it in the case of major gouges, and polish is not enough. You need to treat the sanded area with leather dye because it won't be black enough. Once they've dried, give them a good once-over with wax polish to smooth out the surface.

Last edited:

Mandres

Reaction score
I don't think sanding is a very good choice here. The only way to make the scratches disappear would be to sand away all the surrounding material down to the level of the deepest scratch, and even if you could do that and get a smooth finish you'd be left with a very thin piece of leather.

I think the better choice would be to fill in the gouges with something to bring the surface up to the same level as the good leather, then lightly sand to make it all uniform. I don't know what material would work well for this but there must be some kind leather "filler" out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads