• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I remove the loosely sewn thread inside pockets.

stylenewbie

Reaction score
Somewhat hard to explain here, but I opened up my suit pockets with the intention of tucking the flaps into the pockets. However I noticed there was loosely woven black thread on the inside side of the pocket (the pockets were sealed with white thread). This prevented the flaps from properly fitting into said pockets. Is it okay to cut and remove this thread? I'd say it's woven similarly to how the upper and lower halves of a peak lapel are stitched together. EDIT: There seems to be some confusion, I'm not talking about the Basting that seals the pockets. It's this stitching inside the pocket once the pocket has already been opened. Here is a photo of the black stitching. I've already removed the thread in the opposite pocket
IMG_1877.jpg

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylenewbie

Somewhat hard to explain here, but I opened up my suit pockets with the intention of tucking the flaps into the pockets. However I noticed there was loosely woven black thread on the inside side of the pocket (the pockets were sealed with white thread). This prevented the flaps from properly fitting into said pockets. Is it okay to cut and remove this thread? I'd say it's woven similarly to how the upper and lower halves of a peak lapel are stitched together.

This may come as a shock to you but did you ALSO know you have to remove the price ticket AND all visible tags and labels on the sleeves before wearing said suit? Shocking, I know.

But, seriously, all joking aside . . . WHY THE BLAZES WOULD YOU WANT TO TUCK THE POCKET FLAPS INSIDE THE POCKETS? If the flaps aren't supposed to show, then the jacket would have been made with jettted non-flap pockets rather than jetted flap pockets; in other words, if you have flaps, then KEEP THEM ON THE OUTSIDE.

stylenewbie

Reaction score
So you're saying it's okay to remove it? I'm not talking about the stitching that keeps the outer pockets closed. It's INSIDE the pocket along one side. I can't think of what purpose it would be for, as it's so loose, possibly extra stability? I read somewhere, I believe London Lounge, that flaps were originally added on to protect against the rain, and one would tuck in said flaps when indoors. Thus I thought having the ability to tuck in pockets lent one a bit of versatility.

SuitMyself

Reaction score

So you're saying it's okay to remove it? I'm not talking about the stitching that keeps the outer pockets closed. It's INSIDE the pocket along one side. I can't think of what purpose it would be for, as it's so loose, possibly extra stability? I read somewhere, I believe London Lounge, that flaps were originally added on to protect against the rain, and one would tuck in said flaps when indoors. Thus I thought having the ability to tuck in pockets lent one a bit of versatility.

Sorry, man, I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry.

The reason I NEVER recommend tucking in the pocket flaps is quite simple: tucking in permits the sagging of the pockets to show--and, as we all know, the pockets WILL sag over time.

Torrente

Reaction score
Remove the stitching. Place hands inside of said pockets. Fit in SF.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You certainly learn something new every day!
I will from now on make sure not to carry coats with patch pockets on rainy days!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
tucking in permits the sagging of the pockets to show
No more than if they had been made without flaps to start with. And sagging shouldn't be a problem anyway as long as they're properly constructed and you don't put stuff in your pockets. Not for the first few years of wear anyway, after that you can just call it sprezzatura (or stop tucking the flaps in at that point)
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
If the flaps aren't supposed to show, then the jacket would have been made with jettted non-flap pockets rather than jetted flap pockets.
Well this logic makes no sense. It's like saying "Don't bother hemming your trousers, if they were meant to have a 30" inseam they would have been made with one". Sometimes OTR suits just don't have exactly every feature you want, and other times you just want the variety of sometimes tucking the flaps and sometimes not.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most suits with flaps are meant to be worn tucked in or out depending on the look preferred as long as the pockets are besom welted. Remove the basted thread with a seam ripper to avoid accidentally cutting the suit.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting the thread on a second Forum does not assist its lack of clarity.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do this to keep the pockets shape while it hangs to be sold. Trust me it's a good thing that they do this. Anyways if you simply grab a knife or small pair of scissors and lightly pull aside the two segments you can snip off the tread and pull away from the suit.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I hear someone say that pockets should not be used for their intended purpose, I release the safety catch on my Browning.

stylenewbie

Reaction score
Haha thanks for all the responses. But does anybody know about the thread inside the pocket? It might be unique to my suit. I already removed the basting along the outer edge so the flaps can go inside, but there's some stitching on the inner back edge that keeps the flaps from fitting smoothly. So the flaps wrinkle a bit when their tucked in. I actually cut the stitching in one pocket already, and that flap tucks in perfectly and looks exactly like a besom. I'm till waiting for my suit to fall apart now...

stylenewbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Posting the thread on a second Forum does not assist its lack of clarity.

Yes I lack patience
bigstar[1].gif
Thanks for your other response, maybe I will post pictures...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads