• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I make my jacket more breathable?

SteppinInASlideZone

Reaction score
How can I make my sport coat more breathable?

Currently, the only sport coat I own is a Hart Schaffner Max one from Dillards (similiar to this). It fits very well, and the wool used for the exterior of the jacket is quite nice considering it is a cheap department store one. The only problem is that it is fully lined with polyester. I am a pretty clean person and never have problems with BO/sweating, except when I wear this jacket. Even if I wear it in winter, since I'm likely indoors, I still sweat and it always makes me uncomfortable.

Is there any reasonable way to make this jacket more breathable, and would it be cost efficient to do so? I was thinking I could take it to a tailor to have the lining removed or replaced with a more breathable one, but I have no idea if that is possible. Would I be better off just searching thrift stores for a new jacket that isn't lined with poly like this one?

paxonus

Reaction score
I've removed the lining from a jacket leaving it 1/4 lined. Takes a bit of work, but not that difficult.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jacket seams under the lining are likely unfinished. Finishing them will add to the cost. Another consideration is that the lining is only part of the issue; the tightness of the fabric weave and the weight of the fabric are more important than the presence or absence of a lining.

stubloom

Reaction score
The problem is that polyester doesn't "breathe." High quality sport coats and suit jackets use Bemberg (rayon), not polyester. If economically feasible, consider relining the jacket with Bemberg. The cost will probably range from $100 to $175 plus material cost.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Buy a second sports coat for summer. What are you going to do in winter once you’ve modified this one for summer?

It would be more cost effective to buy a second than modify the first

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads