• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can I make my jacket more breathable?

SteppinInASlideZone

Reaction score
How can I make my sport coat more breathable?

Currently, the only sport coat I own is a Hart Schaffner Max one from Dillards (similiar to this). It fits very well, and the wool used for the exterior of the jacket is quite nice considering it is a cheap department store one. The only problem is that it is fully lined with polyester. I am a pretty clean person and never have problems with BO/sweating, except when I wear this jacket. Even if I wear it in winter, since I'm likely indoors, I still sweat and it always makes me uncomfortable.

Is there any reasonable way to make this jacket more breathable, and would it be cost efficient to do so? I was thinking I could take it to a tailor to have the lining removed or replaced with a more breathable one, but I have no idea if that is possible. Would I be better off just searching thrift stores for a new jacket that isn't lined with poly like this one?

paxonus

Reaction score
I've removed the lining from a jacket leaving it 1/4 lined. Takes a bit of work, but not that difficult.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket seams under the lining are likely unfinished. Finishing them will add to the cost. Another consideration is that the lining is only part of the issue; the tightness of the fabric weave and the weight of the fabric are more important than the presence or absence of a lining.

stubloom

Reaction score
The problem is that polyester doesn't "breathe." High quality sport coats and suit jackets use Bemberg (rayon), not polyester. If economically feasible, consider relining the jacket with Bemberg. The cost will probably range from $100 to $175 plus material cost.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Buy a second sports coat for summer. What are you going to do in winter once you’ve modified this one for summer?

It would be more cost effective to buy a second than modify the first

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.