1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can I Mail Clothing from USA to Italy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by blairh, Aug 26, 2011.

1. blairh

blairh Senior member

Just got back from my local post office here in the States. I was mailing a box of goods to a friend in Italy. Filling out the customs form I was honest and wrote there were a couple t-shirts in the box. (I valued the shirts at way lower than what I paid though.) Guy at the post office takes one look at my form and proclaims, "nope, can't mail any clothing to Italy".

We had a nice brief chat about it and I said "just mail it anyways" which he was cool with. I've mailed clothing to friends in Italy in the past and never had a problem. Perhaps this new rule is new-ish? The list of prohibited items is insanely long for Italy.

I set it up so that if customs denies my box they will mail it back to me (at my cost).

Would like to hear from others if they had any recent experiences with this. Thanks.

2. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

Never heard that it was an issue but never tried.

IME USPS workers while sometimes being idiots are usually properly informed.

3. blairh

blairh Senior member

This is what he showed me:

"Haberdashery and sewn articles of any kind, including trimmings and lace; handkerchiefs; scarves; shawls, needlework including stockings and gloves; bonnets, caps, and hats of any kind."

Here is the entire list of restricted items to send to Italy. Insane if you ask me.

If it even gets mailed back to me, maybe I'll try with FedEx and bullshit the entire customs form. This is stupid. Fingers crossed.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yeah Italy is annoying to ship to, but the only real problem I have had was with shoes. They are adamant about no shoes to italy. Ive shipped at least 50 things though, all clothing, declared as clothing with no problem.

5. willpower

willpower Senior member

Why do they restrict this stuff?

6. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Fill out the paperwork/customs online and simply hand the package to them to be processed. I'm sure they won't care enough to get the package in the system.

Your only problem is dealing with the black hole of Poste Italiane.

This will tell you what your postal worker does/ does not know.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_008.htm

Apparently, they must be trying to keep chloroform tactics used by certain SF DT denizens out of their country.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't know for sure, but I assume because they consider themselves world leaders in clothing and shoe manufacture, they want to keep purchases nationalistic.

Both right. Print the label online and nobody gives a crap when you just drop it off. Also, more packages go missing when shipping to Italy than any other country. Clients have told me how shady and corrupt their postal system is.

8. blairh

blairh Senior member

Thanks for this. It gives me a little relief.

9. blairh

blairh Senior member

I filled it out at the post office. Next time (if my last package makes it to Italy) I mail something I will do this. I'm assuming if you fill it out online you list the items on that form and when you print it out the man at the post office isn't privy to seeing what you listed for customs?

10. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Next time post human remains. And live bees.

11. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

It's the 10-gallon hats, me thinks.

They do nothing but clash with classic eye-talian tailoring.

12. SpooPoker

They do see it, but nobody looks, they just see if the postage is paid. Start a conversation to distract if you are nervous lol

13. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    +10. i never heard such stupid BS in my life.. no photos? no toys that aren't made wholly of wood.. WTF!!!

14. blairh

blairh Senior member

Hilarious.

He's a weirdo this guy. I've dealt with him before. He looked at my customs form and yelled out immediately, "Take it home. Nope. No way clothing is getting to Italy."

I froze for a second because I spent the money for my friends to get them the stuff and then I was going through the trouble of putting the package together and of course mailing it to Italy. I just said, "look, just send it and I'll deal with whatever is the result".

If the package gets there with no issues, I'll mail them some clothing during Xmas. We'll see. No shoes of course. :)

15. SpooPoker

Id suggest the next town over, then. :)

16. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

I swear post office workers are the worst people to deal with. The ones I've dealt with have acted like disinterested teenagers who don't expect to do anything but ring up your cost of postage. Most of them act as if their job doesn't include answering customers' questions. Asking them to just weigh a package, so I can determine 1st class or Priority, is always a treat.

17. davesmith

Quote:
    You just need to stop there, enough said!!!

i was once in a post office and a lady screamed at the worker, "only people that can't be employed anywhere else get jobs here!!"

18. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

I've thought about making those comments before. Is it a law where they cannot deliver mail unless it has the PO Box # on it, even if it has the name, street address and everything correct? The post office I go to will let people get their packages without ID (I've picked stuff up for others just by saying their box number), mail without an ID if they forget their key, and deliver items to the right box number even if it is the wrong state (I've gotten some tax mail for a city in Maryland a couple times).

19. davesmith

The worst that happens to me is that i go to pick up mail for my wife (why i have to pick it up instead of them delivering it is a different story of their laziness) and i they ask for ID then wont let me take it even though they know who i am!!!

20. blairh

blairh Senior member

My update:

Here is the current status of the package tracked online.....

Customs clearance processing complete
    September 06, 2011, 10:04 am
    ITALY
    International Parcels

While this makes me happy, I'm still far from celebrating. Does this mean it cleared customs?

Notice how there is no information provided about where in Italy my package currently is being held. Perhaps all packages enter one customs department in Italy?

Praying my package gets to its destination. I've done some research online and I'm learning that FedEx and UPS might be more reliable/less risky in the future. (I used USPS.) Also read on forums to always list items as "used goods" and not "gifts" to hopefully avoid the shady Italian postal service from stealing. (Which is SO SHADY.)

Wait, found a website that luckily gave me more details. ("Track trace".)

It arrived in Milan and left Milan today. Or so it says. Hopefully with everything I sent originally still in the box.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011