• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I keep it? Suit is too big :(

why4009

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought this valentino a few days ago. It is a 46R and I am 40/42R. I have read various threads and it may seem like too big of an alteration to handle. So I went to Paul at Wilshire Tailor and he said he could make it work. He told me he wouldn't say he could do it if he couldn't because he has a reputation to protect. The only problem will be the buttons will be a little low. The shoulders are perfect.

Those are not the suit pants I am wearing. I am really concerned about the jacket.

I am wondering what to do. I can't return it. It only cost 20 bucks. If I spend another 200 bucks or so, I could have a nice suit. What would you do? Would a lot people recognize the low buttons?

Thank you in advance for the advice. I know it is wrinkled, if I get the blessing from the audience, I will get it pressed before getting alterations.

Thanks.

Why4009

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Valentino, it's probably worth the price you pay to get it tailored.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Are you sure that you are a regular and not a short? The jacket looks WAY too long on you. Typically, the length of a given jacket should be pretty even across the board regardless of the chest size. Do you just have particularly short arms?

-Show us a full body picture.

-Base on just the pictures you provided, I'd say the shoulder fit is not too bad. The most glaring problem is the length of the jacket. Looks like at least 2" needs to be hacked off, and that's way too much length. It'll completely throw the balance of the jacket off (the pockets will look way too low compared to the hemline).

Short answer: don't bother wasting money on the alteration, because you will not look good.

Lesson: never fall victim to a good deal to the point where you take that kind of risk.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bad idea. Flip it.

Jacket length will be ridiculously long (a full length shot will make it easier to judge this because in some of those shots it doesn't look too bad compared to your torso, but hilariously long compared to your arms, which would be unusual.)

Also, I'm very surprised if a 46R fits "perfect" at the shoulders if you're actually a 40/42R.

EDIT - I see lee beat me to the punch while I was typing. Consider this a concurring second opinion.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to want to keep it because of the label value. But you forget, this label has a lot of value when you sell it too.

Sell it and use that money, buy something that fits better.

why4009

Reaction score
I took a gamble, didn't think I could lose on 20 bucks. Just loved the fabric and the shoulders.

Here is a full length pic.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ OK, that seals the deal. Don't alter it; flip it. You're not going to be able to shorten the jacket length enough.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone here. It is almost hitting your knees which no suit jacket should be doing.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoulder, chest, etc are relatively easy to fix without throwing off the balance but jacket length could only be hacked by 1", IME.

why4009

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

On a diferent suit, it is a 42L. Does this look better? Thanks!

The 3rd button is right below my belt. Not sure if that is considered too low. I measured the length and it a couple inches shorter than the valentino.

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's assistance.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why4009
Thanks for the feedback. On a diferent suit, it is a 42L. Does this look better? Thanks! The 3rd button is right below my belt. Not sure if that is considered too low. I measured the length an dit a couple inches shorter than the valentino. Thanks. I appreciate everyone's assistance.
nope. it looks almost as bad as the other one. are you sure you are a 40/42R? It's going to be impossible to make that suit work due to balance. the jacket pockets will probably end up at the side or even towards the back after you taken enough of the side out. p.s., I have altered old 46R/44R jackets to fit me (42R/L), and mine didnt look as bad as yours even before I send them to my tailor...

greyinla

Reaction score
I can't see that being fixed.

And I haven't been impressed w/ that particular tailor's work.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why4009
Thanks for the feedback.

On a diferent suit, it is a 42L. Does this look better? Thanks!

The 3rd button is right below my belt. Not sure if that is considered too low. I measured the length and it a couple inches shorter than the valentino.

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's assistance.

Just going by the photos (which is very inaccurate, but anyway), you're clearly not a 42L. You're probably closer to a 40R, though if you were in a store, I'd want you to also try on a 40S, and maybe even a 38R or 38S just to be absolutely sure of your sizing.

Don't buy sizes that don't fit you and then gamble on major alterations. It's just creating hassle & pointless expense for you. Buy the right size and then fine-tune it to fit perfectly.

Mr T

Reaction score
Are you still taking opinions? If so, I concur that you should flip the suit and buy something closer to your size. The suit is just too large to alter.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither of the suits you posted work. Sell them.

You are NOT a regular length. AT best you are a Short.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads