Can I include member of political group in resume?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by J Darnielle, Mar 21, 2010.

1. J Darnielle

J Darnielle Senior member

It's for an internship, not a job. I'm a member of the Young Democrats at my school. I would be adding it alongside a couple of other random clubs that I'm in. Also feel free to list anything else that I could put in an internship resume, but not a job resume.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Why do you think your resume for an internship should be any different than your resume for a job?

3. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

tell them that you're a member of styleforum.

4. J Darnielle

Why do you think your resume for an internship should be any different than your resume for a job?

I don't know. I just assumed they'd be more interested in extra bullshit that I've done on campus than a job would. And I have extra space to fill since I have no "Work Experience" to speak of.

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Yes. Unless you're applying to be Liz Cheney's assistant, put it on there.

6. J Darnielle

tell them that you're a member of styleforum.

Senior Member, you mean.

7. hossoso

hossoso Coward and P*ssy

I might list my SF members status if I ever need a resume again. I'll also put "If you are a Republican this interview is over. I don't care what you do with your time but don't waste mine" at the bottom of the page.

8. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I include a picture of my member in my resume.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

You take a risk that the person reviewing your resume is a Republican and wouldn't hire you exactly for that reason.

I was in a similar situation in college at one point. I had no interesting extra-curricular activities or related work experience. So I created some. I went out and made the "_______ University Review of Literature and the Arts". I filled out a form to have the organization University approved, which made it listed on the University web page. I made exactly one issue filled with mostly papers I had written for English classes. It cost about $25 to have a copy printed up by the local Pinter. I made a reasonably good looking web site for the club and made myself Editor in Chief. I then put this down on my resume.

Nowadays you could probably do this entirely on the internet and not have to spend a penny.

10. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

I'd say no. Employers expect you to lay off politics and religion in the workplace--so it doesn't make sense to try to use either as an interesting conversation piece for an interview.

Young Democrats or Young Republicans? A young person full of idealistic fervor doesn't join the imperial guard. It's not politics--it's the death of politics.

Young people have very little actual experience in anything. There's no point padding your resume. Maybe tell them you helped your father repair houses in summers?

11. xchen

xchen Senior member

I don't know. I just assumed they'd be more interested in extra bullshit that I've done on campus than a job would. And I have extra space to fill since I have no "Work Experience" to speak of.

No work experience. Member of Young Democrats. I like where this is going! [​IMG]

12. MrG

MrG Senior member

Senior Member, you mean.

If you're not a Goon Squad Member it's probably not worth mentioning SF. [​IMG]

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I might disclose it in the interview if extracurricular activities come up for discussion, but I wouldn't put it on the resume.

14. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Only if you have a leadership or active position in the campus group and can describe it without referencing the political affiliation. For example, "Leadership position in a major campus political club." Otherwise you risk alienating yourself. Make the focus what you accomplished and not your political affiliation.

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

No work experience. Member of Young Democrats. I like where this is going! [​IMG]

Trust me when I tell you, here in D.C., both "Young" groups are horrible.