• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I have fun on a trip to a funeral?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hypothetically, if one is required to attend a funeral out of town, would it be crass to also do some sightseeing while there, or are all fun activities verboten?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I think it depends on a few factors.
1> Your personal religion and customs.
2> Your relationship with the deceased and/or family thereof.
3> Your ability to do those things discretely.

I have done it before. I got some looks, but I happened to be in a place I don't get to very often and wanted to visit some friends while I was there that would not have made it to the funeral. It blew over. We all grieve in our own way.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if, hypothetically, this was somebody you really didn't like, you could have a lot of fun, maybe even ******** on the fresh grave with a cheap hooker.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
if, hypothetically, this was somebody you really didn't like, you could have a lot of fun, maybe even ******** on the fresh grave with a cheap hooker.

I hear that's what they do in teh French Foreign Legion.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see it as disrespectful at all, just as long as you're not having fun during the said funeral.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Se the movie Harold and Maude for ideas ; )

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Hypothetically, if one is required to attend a funeral out of town, would it be crass to also do some sightseeing while there, or are all fun activities verboten?

i d say take the opportunity to go sight see while you are there no problem. i dont see any issue with that. just while you are at the funeral make sure you are all about the passed away and the family.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think its more than appropriate. Who wants to spend a 3-5 day trip mourning like alonzo the whole time? Not this guy.

I had to go to 2 in the past 4 months. The first was for my grandpa in September. We went out to an uncles house after the funeral and we all got hammered, that was fun. The second was last month for a good friend. We all went out to hooters the night before and out to lunch the next afternoon. It sucks losing someone but I dont feel like I NEED to be depressed and in a ****** mood to be reverant.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is your mom, dad, bother, sister, son, daughter or wife, it is probably not a good sign to go out and "have fun". Otherwise, I think you're safe.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's fine. I would not, however, compromise those things I needed to do out of respect (I don't see you doing that, mind you), nor would I discuss my plans with any of the other attendees, if at all avoidable.

~ H

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when i die, i want them to party in my honor.

My grandpa recently passed at 83, we had a party. It was great, and it really helped my gram feel better. She is and was extremely sad, but the couple days with everyone in and around her in decent spirits really perked her up.

My grandpa lived a good life, its what he wanted.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on: How close the person was to you and how dark your sense of humour is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads