• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I have a suit coat adjusted....and NOT mess it up?

RON HUSTLEMAN

Reaction score
My mind apparently did'nt adjust to the fact that I have been losing weight.So I ordered a suit [ A ZOOT SUIT,MY FIRST!} in my old size 52R.Well ,turns out I've been sucessful in my weight loss [ 32 ILBS!} So my suit size is now 48R!Question...if I have the Jacket taken in....would it destroy the suit? I plan on taking it in THURSDAY March 14th.Thanx

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can it be done by a very good tailor...yes

Will it be expensive...yes

will it like come out as well as something that was the right size in the first place...no

as such, if you can exchange sizes, do so.

MattSF

Reaction score

will it like come out as well as something that was the right size in the first place...no

I agree with everything Quad said. It can be done, but it won't look as good as getting the right size to begin with and will likely be expensive to do. Try to exchange for the proper size if you can.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on losing weight!

If you get it altered, you'll have to make sure that you use a tailor who pays attention to detail. If you don't, the stripes won't line up.

red81

Reaction score
it's basically more work than making a coat from scratch (am i right)?

i got some pricing for an old black wool suit to be altered and it just wasn't worth it.

i would work really hard on returning it for a smaller size.

Big Texas

Reaction score
There is a distinctive look about a suit that was clearly too big and was drastically altered to fit. It'll be "off" in a noticeable way, such that the balance of the suit will be thrown out of whack. Front pockets may migrate backward, the quarters and front will look strange, and whatever isn't taken in (shoulders, for instance) will look boxy. At best, it will look like a larger suit that has been shrunk down disproportionately.

I would strongly second the previous recommendations to find a new suit.

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure I agree that it can even be done. Going down four sizes is getting towards the outer limit of what alterations can do. For example, altering the pants may be impossible because at some point, the rear pockets start disappearing.

I also wonder what size suit you "really" wear. Suit sizes are chest sizes but one of the key drivers of how a suit fits is the shoulders. Re-cutting shoulders is almost never worth it. If you "really" wear a size 48 but have gone up to a 52 because you were fat, a 52 will give you a severe case of "samurai shoulder".

So yeah, what Quadcammer said. Get the size that actually fits correctly and then have it altered from there.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure I agree that it can even be done. Going down four sizes is getting towards the outer limit of what alterations can do..

for the most part I agree, although I've seen some very skilled alterations tailor work some miracles. it most cases, it can be done, but the end result is a hideous mess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads