• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can I have a size 38R suit brought down to a 36R?

Edwardo69er

Reaction score
My dad left me a gorgeous Brioni suit but the only problem is that it is a size 38 and I usually wear a size 36. Interestingly enough I am actually 38" (30" waist) around the chest (I measured it thoroughly) but the guy at Neiman's said that the 36's fit me better because my body tapers significantly around the obliques (my lats and traps are extremely muscular which means my torso is somewhat triangular and my shoulders are very broad). I tried on my dad's jacket and it probably needs to be taken in at least two-three inches around the back because there is a lot of room around the stomach area (the chest is alright) but will this ruin the suit?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pics of you in the suit. we can thereafter better advise.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edwardo69er
My dad left me a gorgeous Brioni suit but the only problem is that it is a size 38 and I usually wear a size 36. Interestingly enough I am actually 38" (30" waist) around the chest (I measured it thoroughly) but the guy at Neiman's said that the 36's fit me better because my body tapers significantly around the obliques (my lats and traps are extremely muscular which means my torso is somewhat triangular and my shoulders are very broad). I tried on my dad's jacket and it probably needs to be taken in at least two-three inches around the back because there is a lot of room around the stomach area (the chest is alright) but will this ruin the suit?

Sounds to me that you're asking if the waist can be taken in. Not shrinking the whole jacket.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
This is in answer to both of your threads - get a suit that fits well in the shoulders. Then take it to a good tailor - a real tailor, not the dry cleaner down the road who offers "alterations." The tailor will fix you up.

EZ

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.