• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can i get your vote on a couple of watches.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nightrune
here another one from rolex but i think it's vintage.

Nice! Any of these mentioned would be a great choice.

kcc

Reaction score
Of the two, I prefer the tank. Neither brand would be my first choice, however.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc138
I respectfully disagree about the reverso. I love it and I love it in gold as well.

Unless it's a big Squadro type sporty reverso, I think that reversos almost have to be yellow gold. A dressier-design reverso in white metal just doesn't do IT for me.

Neither of those watches cry out to me. The AP certainly is more versatile, but I have no idea if the OP wants versatility or a "dress watch."

nightrune

Reaction score
not looking for versatility. i do have other watches. what i'm actually looking for is a simple dress watch that looks nice. doesn't need to have a date. any kind of gold. manual wind or automatic is fine. tank style or round. maybe 34mm-38mm.

jlc and ap sorta interest me since a lot of people would pick other brands for the same amount of money.

npdang

Reaction score
The AP is a much higher quality watch in person... both in the movement and the case/dial. The JLC, perhaps a bit more history behind that one.

zoorado

Reaction score
In a similar price range (probably less expensive) as the Jules Audemars and the JLC Reverso are the Mayu / Monard by H. Moser & Cie. Of course, with a bit more dough, you should go for this:
m25.jpg

Bartolo

Reaction score
not looking for versatility. i do have other watches. what i'm actually looking for is a simple dress watch that looks nice. doesn't need to have a date. any kind of gold. manual wind or automatic is fine. tank style or round. maybe 34mm-38mm.

Google up the IWC cal. 89 I own one of these and it's the only vintage watch that I own and am really glad I own. It's just what you're looking for, a classic, thin, gold, dress watch with a very simple dial. For a modern day 'equivalent,' look at the IWC Portofino. A very simple dial, and $2400 or so on the gray market.

If money is no object, the choice is a Patek Calatrava.

In any event, if you want a simple dress watch, get one much simpler than either of those two.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a fan of both AP and JLC, but not of the specific models you've selected. In that price range and given your requirements, I'd suggest the Patrimony Traditionelle by Vacheron:

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfo423
gold watches=ghetto / guido look

To me, if you wear an outfit consisting of all brown and tan but your watch is stainless steel and black, you look like a guy who can't afford a gold watch. Now who's more ghetto? And as far as the guido crack, I know many "guido" plumbers who make over $200k a year. Get your head out of your ass, sir.

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
I'd go for the JLC, such a timeless classic. But I'd consider the rose gold version rather that the yellow gold one. It's warmer, and incredibly classy.

Otherwise, as one of the PP has mentioned, the Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle in 38mm would be an excellent choice.

nightrune

Reaction score
those are great recs. i will look into them. although the rarer independent watchmakers worry me when it comes to repairs/ replacement of parts.

here's another 1 i've always liked but i think it was a limited edition of 1860. the current chopard designs don't interest me much. maybe the extra plate a little.

i actually like yellow gold the best since it's more classic. it doesn't match my skin tone but so what it's so far from my face anyway.

Mugenpower

Reaction score
Between these two, I would take the later one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads