1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can I find REAL French food in NY?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kennethpollock, Dec 11, 2006.

1. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

Going up there for Christmas, but geting tired of finding items like crabcakes (USA), mussels (Belgian), Dover Sole (British), and onion soup (French, but a short-order cafe dish; not served in serious places), etc., on menus in supposedly authentic French restaurants.
    Where can I find lievre a la royale (wild hare in liver and blood sauce), calf's head, pigs' feet, veal kidneys, tripe, gibier, jellied beef cheeks, andouillette (chitterling sausages), boudin noir (blood sausage), and tongue, etc. Sadly, the few NY places that serve liver or sweetbreads think they are being adventuous. Even a few dishes en gelee would be welcome. Any suggestions?

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I don't think most Americans are capable of eating such exotic fare. I had an hard time finding a restaurant that served snake; no gallbladders though.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lievre a la Royale and pigs' feet are my two favorites. They are not only hard to find in the US, but impossible.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

You can certainly find the ingredients, however.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not for lievre a la royale. Hare blood is very hard to come by here.

We have made pigs feet a few times at home, but the smell from cooking them is not so appetizing.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes, the hare's blood is probably difficult to source.

However, things like pig's feet can be found somewhat more easily. Sometimes the more exotic materials can be found at the ethnic Asian markets or even the Chinese druggists. However, the quality and provenance can be dodgy.

I think nouvelle cuisine has to do with the decline of these complex traditional dishes.

7. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

you can find french sushi fusion, if you want that.

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Actually IIRC pigs' feet are on the menu at Les Halles in Gramercy. I've not tried it but can say that the other food is not that impressive, but decent. Tongue, cheeks, tripe, kidneys, and blood sausage should not be too hard to find. Even in Philadelphia there are a couple that periodically serve those. And a considerable of Chinese restaurants do, too.

9. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Going up there for Christmas, but geting tired of finding items like crabcakes (USA), mussels (Belgian), Dover Sole (British), and onion soup (French, but a short-order cafe dish; not served in serious places), etc., on menus in supposedly authentic French restaurants.
    Where can I find lievre a la royale (wild hare in liver and blood sauce), calf's head, pigs' feet, veal kidneys, tripe, gibier, jellied beef cheeks, andouillette (chitterling sausages), boudin noir (blood sausage), and tongue, etc. Sadly, the few NY places that serve liver or sweetbreads think they are being adventuous. Even a few dishes en gelee would be welcome. Any suggestions?

How was your trip to Freedom? How is Ernest (b****d)?

10. kennethpollock

How was your trip to Freedom? How is Ernest (b****d)?

The famed Emile Zola, in writing about the attitude of most of the French public during the Dreyfus affair, once complained: "What has happened to France? What has become of the French?"
    I feel the same about France. The BOR was violated THREE times. At Cafe Varenne (a modest place reccomended by the Time Out Guide), at the intersection of r. Varenne and r. du Bac, the bill for our modest lunch was brought with my coffee, resting on the side of the saucer. Explanation: it was busy and they wanted our table back.
    Then, at the quite grand Restaurant du Palais Royal, the bill was slapped down on the table, without it being requested, while I was finishing my coffee, following a truly marvelous lunch. Possible explanation: I had the hotel call to book and we had been given bi-lingual menus. Perhaps they were just following the American custom of rudely presenting the bill before it was requested.
    Then, on the Eurostar to London, the "train manager" came on the loudspeaker and introduced herself by her FIRST name. Truly shocking and totally unforgiveable.
    London was perfect. Claridges really is the grandest hotel in the Kingdom. It has a strange mixture of guests: kings, old dowagers, rock and movie stars. The Red-Hot Chili Peppers (with bodyguards) were staying on our floor. Madonna had checked out the week before and Catherine Zeta Jones had been there the week before her. Also spotted in London: Fonzie (Henry Winkler), walking down Old Bond Street. He graciously agreed to be photographed with my wife. British actor Alan Cumming, eating at the next table at The Woolsey.
    Quite a trip. E*****t (banned) and Katia were charming and are fine.

11. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

The famed Emile Zola, in writing about the attitude of most of the French public during the Dreyfus affair, once complained: "What has happened to France? What has become of the French?"
    I feel the same about France. The BOR was violated THREE times.

I am glad to see you retain your same firm grasp of perspective. Perhaps you are entering a long dark Ile du Diable of the soul...[​IMG]

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

I also hate violating chicks that bore me, but three times Ken, you old dog you.

13. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

The Red-Hot Chili Peppers (with bodyguards) were staying on our floor.

Rumor has it that Anthony Kiedis goes absolutely ballistic if any waiter gives him unsolicited advice on a menu.

14. Matt

Matt Senior member

"Hello Mr Kiedis, my name is Dave Navarro and I will be your waiter today. Would you like me to read you the specials?"

15. kennethpollock

16. kennethpollock

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

18. kennethpollock

Is she Indian?

E*****t (banned) thinks she is Jewish, saying only Jews in France name their kids David or Rachel, etc. If she is, that is very strange, indeed. Last year's Miss France, Alexandra Rosenfeld, definitely is Jewish. She went on to be crowned Miss World.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

E*****t (banned) thinks she is Jewish, saying only Jews in France name their kids David or Rachel, etc. If she is, that is very strange, indeed. Last year's Miss France, Alexandra Rosenfeld, definitely is Jewish. She went on to be crowned Miss World.
    Huh. I was actually joking. I take it her name is Rachel? (I had my speakers turned down.)
    That's what I like about the French. They always follow the rules about names and such, which makes it a lot easier to figure out someone's social station right from the start.

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

One can always tell someone's social position in France from their surname, whether they are decrepit aristocracy or someone nouvelle riche.