• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I do better than this (classy messenger)

montyharding

Reaction score
Simple question. I'm looking for something that works with both casual and formal, but more casual-biased. http://www.delvaux-eshop.com/en/prod...rs/products/29 I like this, but I'm wondering if I can do better for $1-$2K. This doesn't have it, but since I carry one always anyway I would like a laptop compartment (13"). For those Glaserholics, I already have a Glaser day bag and after I got it, I realised it's not quite what I'm looking for... and the Delvaux seems more my, er, bag.

Khelben

Reaction score
In my opinion that thing is not very good looking, the pouch in the front looks like a growth.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Khelben
In my opinion that thing is not very good looking, the pouch in the front looks like a growth.

Well then suggest something you think is good looking
plain.gif

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL@Gilt had some decent to nice briefcase bags w/shoulder straps for under 600 yesterday, the retail was around 1.5-2K, not the same style but more in the traditional/classic briefcase style, not sure if they're any left though.

taikuodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
Well then suggest something you think is good looking
plain.gif

Hes right. The best messenger bags ive seen are just simple. One pocket, rectangular, leather strap. Thats all you need. You dont even need fancy metal clasps or anything. And in tanned leather, with a nice orange brownish hue.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taikuodo
Hes right. The best messenger bags ive seen are just simple. One pocket, rectangular, leather strap. Thats all you need. You dont even need fancy metal clasps or anything. And in tanned leather, with a nice orange brownish hue.

Well - the simplest messenger bags I've seen are just simple, I'll grant you that. I'm not after the hipster style, and the ~$500 ones also tend to wear badly.

Originally Posted by canstyleace
RL@Gilt had some decent to nice briefcase bags w/shoulder straps for under 600 yesterday, the retail was around 1.5-2K, not the same style but more in the traditional/classic briefcase style, not sure if they're any left though.

Not looking for a traditional briefcase style... already have those types, both classic and modern.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A) There is a comprehensive messenger thread.
B) May as well go with Hermes at that range

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny this should come up as I was just looking up the Delvaux Newspaper bag the other day.

But then I saw the price.
frown.gif

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
A) There is a comprehensive messenger thread.
B) May as well go with Hermes at that range

Could you point me to that thread? Because I only know about the Manbag thread.

montyharding

Reaction score
Well, it's either this or spend the next ten hours in the manbag thread trying to isolate the perhaps two bags which doesn't make Carson Kressley go "That's way too gay for me". So if you have better suggestions I'd love to see it

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this Julius messenger bag a few months back and love it. Outstanding quality leather and the bag has a really unique look that is neither "stuffy businessman" nor "too ****". I suspect it may not be the style you're looking for, but since you're willing to drop $1K to $2K on a bag and want to error more on the casual side I thought I'd mention it.

img56068863.jpg

ALLCAPS

Reaction score
That's really nice. I've heard wonderful things about Delvaux, but if I had the bank to drop on something like that I'd get the Newspaper bag. It's beautiful.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1

If you're sticking with that brand, the large newspaper bag w/shoulder strap is way nicer although it might be a bit big for your needs, the messenger just looks a bit boxy and unbalanced imho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads