• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I copy the shoe tree to make the last?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking, is it possible to copy a shoe tree to made a last.
I am a size in between EG606 size 7.5 and 8, how about using an EG606 8E shoetree to copy a last?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This sounds an interesting project.

I would have thought most bespoke shoemakers would want to craft their own last. Are you outsourcing to an overseas maker, and so having to ship them a last for them to use?

(sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I am curious as to the story behind it).

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
I am a size in between EG606 size 7.5 and 8, how about using an EG606 8E shoetree to copy a last?

Absolutely negative. The shoe tree is always much smaller than the last, what has been used to make your shoe (depending on the type how much). And the other issue is the cut on the tree... so I am afraid, even if it sounds an interesting project, not possibile.

Why do you need the last actually?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know I am out there on this... but Fishball said the HKG shoe makers cut down a basic last to fit the individual. Would it be possible to build a last up (I got a few on eBay recently) and with an sculpture of your foot in plaster of Paris from your podiatrist (I got one for an orthotic) you could built up the smaller last with car body putty like the builders do in the shape of the orthotic moulding? and shape it to fit...

No es verdad?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the skill level required to create a stylish but comfortable last probably exceeds that of most amateurs. There's a reason people apprentice years to learn this sort of thing.

Still, it would be an interesting (if potentially expensive) project to try, I'd say!
smile.gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcel,

I know the shoe tree is smaller than the last. So, I would use the half size larger shoe tree to copy, if that is possible.
I am taking a course to learn how to make shoe, but it is not a lastmaking course. That is why I am asking.
One more reason is the shape of the last, let said I love EG606 last or Vass U last, it is more easy to get the shoetree than the last, is it?

Meister,
Yes, I am thinking of using putty and file to modify the "type" to send it to copy.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Fishball,

Forget about copying trees - I sent you a PM, maybe that can help.

May I ask you, which shoemaking course you want to take?

orlagu

Reaction score
To OP: That's an interesting question. I have one too, but it's on the contrary:
I have my own last, so how much should it be sized down to make a shoe tree?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
OK, probably a stupid question, but why can't you just make a plaster cast of your feet (like dentists/orthodentists do with your teeth to make plates/retainers) and then have a last made from that?

well that is what I was exploring but my theory was that you already have half the work done with a good las and with a bit of car body mickey????

binatang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball

I just got a last done for my regular shoemaker. Thanks to follow forumer Orlagu.
The last maker makes plastic sets for shoe manufacturers.

The way they did it was rather interesting.
They asked for the right side of your most fitted/favourite shoe.
They than rip out the insole (they didn't tell me this prior tho) put in plastic bag & fill it up with hot plastic. When it cools & hardens they pull it out - sand & shape till it a perfect copy of your shoe. Than then put the finished right side onto trace miller that makes an exact negative that will form the left side. The shoe I gave to them was a UK8 but I wanted it reduced to a UK7.5 ... no problem at all.

Wahla! ... perfect last copy of your favourite shoe.
One can make a copy of ... well anything actually EG606, CJ 337, Cheaney 3888 etc
If only I can get over them ripping out the insole ..... hmmmm.

2637958457_d672cba588.jpg

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
exactly as most feet are usually very different sizes and widths at times

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
OK, probably a stupid question, but why can't you just make a plaster cast of your feet (like dentists/orthodentists do with your teeth to make plates/retainers) and then have a last made from that?

I have only a rudimentary understanding of the issue, but I would have thought creating an elegant last is not simply a matter of recreating your foot. Rather of shaping something around the foot that looks good. You probably don't need all the detail of a plaster cast to do that - just the main measurements of the foot. Then it's down to the artistry of the last-making.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics