• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can good looking guys wear bow ties?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am seeing allot more bow ties showing up around here. I wear one a few times per year, but never really could pull it off, so I started to think about why I can't pull it off and I have determined I am far too good looking to wear bow ties. As not to descend into a FNB style rambling, here is my brief observations on when bow ties work best (in no particular order):

1.\tOld guys - If you over 60 and have some hair growing out of your ears you can pull of a bow tie
2.\tLongish unkempt hair guys - Okay they can't have super long hair, but a bit overgrown and a bit out of place hair seems to work with the BT
3.\tFat guys - the fat and the bow tie seem to make a nice combo - Think Churchill
4.\tGeeky guy - think Albert Einstein look. Glasses help
5.\tPhat Guido type guys - PG seems to be able to pull off almost any look.

Who can't wear a bow tie? The classically good looking "leading man" guy - George Clooney, Matthew McConaughey, Will Smith, Pierce Bronson.

Now a being a bit tongue and cheek when I say I am too good looking to rock a bow tie, truth is I am too average - nothing very interesting about my looks that can pair up with a bow tie.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this makes some sense. Bow ties have been less common recently so they do attract a lot of attention when somebody who doesn't fit into one of those categories wears them. The idea of the OP is that your persona or look should be exceptional enought to balance the tie. I believe that on an average looking man, the tie would stand out too much, cancelling the person out - the tie would be more interesting than the face.

I would say that face length is an issue though. Sticking to the conventional wisdom, I believe they do have a widening effect on people who already have wide faces.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am exceptionally good looking and wear bow ties on occasion.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am ridiculously good looking and wear bow ties for occasions.

Kohan

Reaction score
My Economics professor wore one today, Brooks Brothers I believe, and I thought it looked great. Granted, it fits pretty well with the professorial image, but I've consistently found bowties to work out pretty well as long as your ensemble looks neat and put-together, like you weren't just relying on the bowtie to do all the work, and when the wearer is interesting enough to justify the extra attention they inevitably get for wearing it. Mind you, if it's spinning then you're on your own.

As a young sartorialist I may be too out there, but personally I really like them.

R-H

Reaction score
Good looking guys shouldn't wear bow ties. It just doesn't work.

Try to picture Tom Brady in a bow tie with tweed jacket.
eh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ Ugh gross!

With a few exceptions (the South, theme parties, professors, formalwear obviously) why would you really want to wear a bow tie in reality? I have no reason to believe that it can't work, but there is a measure of contrived-ness (?) that comes with one that seems to almost overdo it on its own. Objectively/aesthetically it could look okay, but really... why? I'm not saying no, just why?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3. Think Churchill
4.\tGeeky guy - think Albert Einstein look. Glasses help
5.\tPhat Guido type guys - PG seems to be able to pull off almost any look.

Who can't wear a bow tie? The classically good looking "leading man" guy - George Clooney, Matthew McConaughey, Will Smith, Pierce Bronson.
Yes PG can. And the two other guys.
laugh.gif

yo!

Reaction score
I think it has to do with modern perception, a long time ago in a galaxy far a way men of all ages wore bow ties. This is obviously no longer the case, and bow ties have an almost 'nutty professor' association in the modern world.

If you want to wear a bow tie, pay attention to the important things such as collar style, lapel size, and gorge depth. I am not saying that everyone can wear one, but I do believe that most of it may be a lack of confidence.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carnation Instant Dweebage: Just add bow tie.

fight[1].gif

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people with longer faces, wearing them in a more scruffy fashion look better. I think it looks contrived on very put-together types.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads