• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can first impressions be changed?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've changed a lot since then, but sometimes I wonder if people still judge me from the first time they met met.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I think I've changed a lot since then, but sometimes I wonder if people still judge me from the first time they met met.

Are you the owner of a time machine?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
If it changes, then it's the second impression. So no, it can't be changed sans time machine.

Allen

Reaction score
the first impression? No. However, people might forget their first impression of you or it might get distorted over time. For example one of my friends is a former "enemy". When we met we hated each other. i can remember that clearly, but he says "it wasn't that bad".

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it only really works when you're forced to be around each other (school, work, ongoing plotline on a sitcom) for around a year or even longer...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, impressions definitely change over time. Without a doubt.

Something like sexual attraction though, I find it is pretty much there at the start or not.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

Something like sexual attraction though, I find it is pretty much there at the start or not.

I agree with you on the sexual attraction. There's no "being friends" first, IMO.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with you on the sexual attraction. There's no "being friends" first, IMO.

Well there is, but only under false pretenses.

word

Reaction score
If their first impressions were accurate then you're stuck with that pretty much.

If this is high school reunion kinda stuff or just meeting really old friends the first thing they'll notice is how you either changed or didn't. But your old ways will be on their minds because it's how they remember you.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know women who married men they have found disgusting ever since childhood. It does happen, but it is kind of rare and all these women I have met cheat on their unappealing husbands.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once i made an impression in plado, it was bad so i made a second one.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

I dunno. I think it's more a binary "Is he/she/heshe/it physically appealing enough that I would not be upset about hitting it."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads