• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can Chan Make A Truly Soft Suit

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order my second suit from Chan--as well as having some substantial adjustments made to my first. In thinking about what I want, I've realized that my favorite suits are those with the softest structure, i.e., Oxxford, some Cornelianis, Isaia, etc. Does anyone out there know whether Chan can do this? Has anyone had Chan make a truly soft suit?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask them for little padding, a natural shoulder, and very light canvassing. If you ask, they will take out the horsehair (except from over the shoulder), which I personally prefer, especially with cloths that can hold their own.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Ask them for little padding, a natural shoulder, and very light canvassing. If you ask, they will take out the horsehair (except from over the shoulder), which I personally prefer, especially with cloths that can hold their own.

Thanks. Is the removal of horsehair from the chestpiece something that can be accomplished with a suit already made?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
Thanks. Is the removal of horsehair from the chestpiece something that can be accomplished with a suit already made?
No.

cbrokaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No.

The horsehair canvas always makes the suit stiff. I asked my HK tailor for a soft sillouette, but no matter how hard he tried, it's doesn't feel like the Kiton's, Oxxfords, etc. I wonder why this is so hard to emmulate...

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbrokaw
The horsehair canvas always makes the suit stiff. I asked my HK tailor for a soft sillouette, but no matter how hard he tried, it's doesn't feel like the Kiton's, Oxxfords, etc. I wonder why this is so hard to emmulate...

I've also wondered why that is. It seems as though softness - even in the sleeves - is hard for mid-priced tailors/makers to copy and I don't know why that is.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I see the river Tiber foaming with much blood."

Yes.

But is it Enoch Powell:
"The supreme function of statesmanship," Powell began, "is to provide
against preventable evils. ...
"At all events, the discussion of future grave but, with effort now, avoidable evils is the most unpopular and at the same time the most necessary occupation for the politician. Those who knowingly shirk it, deserve, and not infrequently receive, the curses of those who come after. ...
"It is like watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own funeral pyre. ...
"As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see 'the River Tiber foaming with much blood'”. ...

Or Sybil?
The coast, so long desir'd (nor doubt th' event),
Thy troops shall reach, but, having reach'd, repent.
Wars, horrid wars, I view- a field of blood,
And Tiber rolling with a purple flood.
Simois nor Xanthus shall be wanting there:
A new Achilles shall in arms appear,
And he, too, goddess-born. Fierce Juno's hate,
Added to hostile force, shall urge thy fate.
To what strange nations shalt not thou resort,
Driv'n to solicit aid at ev'ry court!
The cause the same which Ilium once oppress'd;
A foreign mistress, and a foreign guest.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the avatar, I'd think (and hope!) the latter.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Aeneid, VI 1.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I've also wondered why that is. It seems as though softness - even in the sleeves - is hard for mid-priced tailors/makers to copy and I don't know why that is.
I guess there is a reason some things cost more than others. It's harder to work with lighter fabrics, lighter canvasses and still keep a clean cut and flawless shape.

!luc

tricket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian

Your tailor simply uses a single grade of camel hair canvas for suits for all seasons. There are different grades of camel hair canvas of different thickness and texture for different seasons.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, no, they can't.

They are a cheaper MTM/bespoke provider. I really like my WW Chans. But it is what it is. You are paying $1,200. You aren't going to get a $5,000 Neapolitan jacket.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
IMHO, no, they can't.

They are a cheaper MTM/bespoke provider. I really like my WW Chans. But it is what it is. You are paying $1,200. You aren't going to get a $5,000 Neapolitan jacket.

While I'd love that level of softness, I'm not looking for it. I'm just looking to match my softer RTW suits. I wore my Chan the other day and I think I was being somewhat unfair. It is as soft as any Corneliani that I have. However, I have an Oxxford and a Zegna that are both softer. I assume the quality of the Oxxford is higher, but the Zegna? I don't think their quality is all that great.

I'm going to emphasize my desire for softness on the next order and see what happens. And someday, when the kid's out of private schools and college and the wife stops spending money on the house, maybe I'll be able to fly to London for fittings of a Rubinacci.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
IMHO, no, they can't.

Oh so true

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aeneid, VI 1.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere, et *** illi pueri dicerunt: Sebulla pe theleis; respondebat illa: apothanein thelo."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads