• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can big men wear windowpane suits?

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Currently, I have pin stripe, chalk stripe, and quite and solid suits in navy, grey, taupe, and olive.

I have considered a navy with a silver/white windowpane, but have worried about wearing such a large pattern. (44 chest, 37 waist, 28 thighs)

Today at a new tailors, I saw a bolt of very heavy chocolate brown flannel with cream colored lines running through it to form window pane (4 inch by 4 inch squares). If I had a suit made, it would be three button, single breasted, with working sleeve buttons and side vents. Such a suit would work with my new brown sued cap toes, but most of my neckties are silk and in the red, navy, maroon family.

Should a broad fellow worry about wearing a heavy fabric in a window pane?

Would I need to buy a tweedy-wool neck tie too?

Bic

I most often wear navy or charcoal with a white shirt, and also wonder whether a brown windopane would be a little too country.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I'm approximately the same proportions, and I tend to stay away from window pane suits, especially one with such large squares.

The reason for this is simple - I'm not very tall, and boxes on my garments tend to emphasize the sqaureness of my build. It's a shame, because I like the look, but it simply does not look good on me. I do wear window pane shirts, but when worn under a jacket, it has a much different effect.

Of course, as always, if you like the way it looks, you should go for it. Brown suits, especially in a window pane, would tend to be more casual, but not country by any means. For examples of "country", watch the NFL pregame show on CBS and check out Deion Sanders. Or any old Michael Irvin off-field clips. Or any NBA draft.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Peter:

Thank you for the response. Sage advice "if you like the way it looks, go for it." I'd like to be the kinda guy the suit would look good on, but am worried that it will be something I buy but every day never quite have the nerve to wear. Perhaps that means I should take a pass on it.

I would wear the print in a sportcoat, and I meant "country" not in the Walmart in Montana sense (My parents are from Montana--no disrespect meant to the Big Sky), but in the "British riding britches for a Sunday foxhunt" sense.

Bic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads