• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can anyone tell me how much the van cleef and arpels cufflinks cost?

ratratan

Reaction score
there's no vca in my country so i'll have to ask someone to buy them for me. also there are two versions i've seen on the net which do you like better?
fankeyabao1-150x150.jpg
anyone own a pair with better pics?

ratratan

Reaction score
i think they're white gold. they do stand out individually and they were my first choice but then i'm thinking the gold and MOP would look better once you wear them with a shirt. the onyx ones also kinda look like the cufflinks of someone who plays black jack alot. the gold can look feminine. third option, anyone not a fan of either? should i just buy silver knots from tiffany? or mop button links from turnbull and asser?
fdtrtre55577777.jpg
CUTA04005_XL.jpg

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratratan
i think they're white gold. they do stand out individually and they were my first choice but then i'm thinking the gold and MOP would look better once you wear them with a shirt.

the onyx ones also kinda look like the cufflinks of someone who plays black jack alot. the gold can look feminine. third option, anyone not a fan of either? should i just buy silver knots from tiffany? or mop button links from turnbull and asser?

fdtrtre55577777.jpg

CUTA04005_XL.jpg

i like those knots...Tiffany's links are quite overpriced, but Im thrilled with mine..i have the rectangle atlas series. (got em on sale) The Van Cleefs are sweet to though...id probably go for the white gold.

ratratan

Reaction score
just received an email from an online vendor i asked they are around 4k perhaps a little bit more in my case due to shipping. so everyone likes the onyx/ white gold combo more huh?

i do have return to tiffany links also another pair that looks like a weave pattern also from tiffany. i like them more than the knot actually.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$4k is a laughable price. Their production cost must be less than 10% of that. But such is the world of jewelry. For example, I sell silver and onyx cuff links for $55. Granted, it's silver and not white gold but that hardly accounts for the price difference.
Originally Posted by DerekS
i like those knots...Tiffany's links are quite overpriced, but Im thrilled with mine..i have the rectangle atlas series. (got em on sale) The Van Cleefs are sweet to though...id probably go for the white gold.
I sell silver knot cuff links for $45

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Seriously- watch this. Pay close attention at 0:11.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I don't like the VCA "clover leaf" design. It's kind of brand-whoring to me so I wouldn't wear them. Plus the price is ridiculous. But they make a much nicer cufflink, in my opinion that is about an order of magnitude cheaper.
Originally Posted by viator
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...uff-links/?hpw
The one pictured in this article are selling for a ridiculous price. VCA still makes these new and as far as I am aware, the cost for the basic set up is hundreds, not thousands of dollars. These are great -- and very cool because, well, they are modular. It's not a cufflink, it's a system! You can buy various sets of "rods" at various prices, depending on what they are made of. I don't believe VCA has these in their catalog. You have to go into a store and ask for them. But they are (or were until very recently) a staple of theirs.

ratratan

Reaction score
nice cufflinks kent!

thanks for sharing your insight bounder! so you like those bar type (at least that's what you see when you put on a dress shirt) cufflinks the best?

i was kinda looking for a signature style cufflink so that could be a little bit brand whoring but not many people wear cufflinks anyways.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Seriously- watch this. Pay close attention at 0:11.
You have eagle eyes. Ah, the 90s.
thanks for sharing your insight bounder! so you like those bar type (at least that's what you see when you put on a dress shirt) cufflinks the best?
I dislike them because bars look too much like the toggle on single-sided cuff links. A bar is simply not pleasing aesthetically when compared to circle, oval, etc. And I'm not sure how well the mechanism for changing out the bars would work. I actually like the clover leaf design more. It's at least roughly in the shape of a circle.
i was kinda looking for a signature style cufflink so that could be a little bit brand whoring but not many people wear cufflinks anyways.
If you want a real unique design and were willing to drop $4k, I can commission something for you for a fraction of that.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I dislike them because bars look too much like the toggle on single-sided cuff links. A bar is simply not pleasing aesthetically when compared to circle, oval, etc. And I'm not sure how well the mechanism for changing out the bars would work.
The mechanism is very slick. There is a spring-loaded locking pin in the gold "sleeve." You push the beveled end of the bar into the sleeve and slide it in. It depresses the pin until it get to the little groove in the bar where the pin snaps out and locks it in place. To remove, you twist the bar, the the pin gets depressed again and you can slide the bar out. I'm telling you, these things are great. No guy can possible resist. Go into a Van Cleef & Arpels and try them out. You'll see! Asthetics have nothing to do with it. They could make the bars out of fossilized dinosaur dung and you would still think these were the most excellent cufflinks ever invented. These are a lot of fun, too but I would never own a pair as I have bought new cars for less. http://www.rolanditen.com/cuff_links.asp
If you want a real unique design and were willing to drop $4k, I can commission something for you for a fraction of that.
Ratratan, Kent does make some really, really excellent -- and surprisingly affordable -- cufflinks. Unless you are completely set on those VCA clover leafs, you could do a lot worse than starting with him.

ratratan

Reaction score
I dislike them because bars look too much like the toggle on single-sided cuff links. A bar is simply not pleasing aesthetically when compared to circle, oval, etc. And I'm not sure how well the mechanism for changing out the bars would work.

I actually like the clover leaf design more. It's at least roughly in the shape of a circle.

that's a good observation. they do look a little bit like the toggle. i'm actually not fond of chains. none of the ones i posted have them.

thanks for the offer kent, i meant a signature style of a company though and not mine. like the sterling knots from tiffany. i kinda almost always associate them with the firm. same thing with the alhambra design from van cleef or other stuff from say cartier... that's why i agreed it a little bit brand whoring.

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score
I like the Alhambra clover and yes it is a bit of brand whoring, but most people would never know. They are 3600 dollars in the US. However, the bars that were mentioned in the article are outstanding. They are true classic cufflinks and have been in production since the art deco period. I believe the in the Duke of Kents family auction a plantinum with diamond pair went for 18k. They are classics. I just received my first pair of VC&A cufflinks as a gift. They are more similar to the pair from the times, but yellow gold with sapphires. They are from 1938 and are true classics. There is a picture on the London Lounge. So if I were you I would buy the gold bars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads