1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone recommend slim fit sweaters?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Robwynge, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Robwynge

Robwynge Senior member

Hello,

who make a slimmer fitting sweater? I prefer my sweaters to be fairly snug. I am sure Ralph Lauren Black Label, but our their others?

Thanks for your help!

-Rob

2. Janshi

Janshi Member

Club Monaco and Banana Republic (occasionally), on the cheaper end of things. Also GAP.

I think all the high-end brands have extremely slim ones too, though whether you can find one is another matter - everytime I go anywhere it seems that all my size is gone.

3. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

For cashmere sweaters, you might want to consider Polo Ralph Lauren, or Ralph Lauren Purple Label. I am 5-10, 140 lbs, and wear a 36R in suits. My small cable knit sweaters from them fit me quite well. The cable knits actually advertise as a classic fit, but they fit pretty snug. You also might want to try Ralph Lauren Black Label, which is bound to be even slimmer than Polo or Purple Label.

4. Catalan Style

Catalan Style Member

I recently got a great slim fitting Paul Smith cardigan. beautiful colour also.

5. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I size down one in pretty much every brand and then taper the sides to get a nice, slim fit.

Sweaters I get are usually form J Crew, Club Monaco, Zara, Target.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

BB has very nice slim-fit cashmere cardigans and V-necks under the Black Fleece label currently 50% off.

7. spertia

spertia Senior member

For cheaper cashmere (i.e., made in China), I've found that Ted Baker's sweaters are cut with a very nice, slim silhouette.

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Malo
    How is there stuff nowadays? I know the company was sold and the old owners are now in charge of Ballantyne, but has Malo kept putting out great stuff? I never see it around here, but it was always fantastic.

10. Robwynge

Robwynge Senior member

Thanks for the responses thus far. Interesting that nobody recomends any Italian makers. I would have thought that since most Italian clothes are slimmer, I would get recommendations for Briono, Borrelli and the like.

11. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

Gran Sasso has a slim fit line.
    EDIT: Forgot about a wonderful slim fitting sweater I have made by Andrea Fenzi.
    Great stuff, pricey though...

12. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

H/M has relatively slim fitted sweaters. I just bought a nice merino one for $40. It's decent quality, made in China but not from thier Logg line which is pure crap.

13. Sander

Sander Senior member

H/M has relatively slim fitted sweaters. I just bought a nice merino one for $40. It's decent quality, made in China but not from thier Logg line which is pure crap.
    I have three of these (I suppose it's the same though I live in Europe) and unfortunaely I have to disagree. One wasn't sewn well, and all of them start to peel rather quickly. I can second the comment on the fit.

14. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

I have three of these (I suppose it's the same though I live in Europe) and unfortunaely I have to disagree. One wasn't sewn well, and all of them start to peel rather quickly. I can second the comment on the fit.

On mine the tag says 'divided' and it also just says 100% wool, 'machine washable in wool' whatever that means. I assumed it was merino but maybe not...Ive only had it a couple of weeks so maybe it will fall apart quickly.

The fit, especially the arms, is very slim though.

15. agrant

agrant Member

Prada make some of the most elegant simple slim-fit cashmere v-necks however they can be delicate.
    Also La Perla Uomo (via Manzoni - Milano) if you can find them outside of Milan make wonderfully good quality sweaters. I have a couple i wear all the time and they still look good after 18months.
    Giorgio Armani and D&G to be considered also.

16. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I've only had one Italian brand and it was Zegna and it was quite slim as well. Sizing down on Penguin and Ben Sherman has worked out well for me too. H&M has some slim fits too.

17. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Prada make some of the most elegant simple slim-fit cashmere v-necks however they can be delicate.

Some of the Prada sweaters are very nice indeed. However, I've found some to be too slim-fit (i.e., skin tight) for my liking, in which case I size up from my typical size.

18. briancl

briancl Senior member

I find the Barney's Co-op house brand sweaters to have a slim fit with longer than average sleeves. I can't fit into anything from Banana, Club Monaco or J. Crew or any of the mall brands, so Co-op is about as cheap as it gets for me

19. Robwynge

Robwynge Senior member

Also La Perla Uomo (via Manzoni - Milano) if you can find them outside of Milan make wonderfully good quality sweaters. I have a couple i wear all the time and they still look good after 18months.
    Giorgio Armani and D&G to be considered also.

Funny, I never thought I would see anyone on this site or Ask Andy ever recommend Prada, Dolce or Armani. I thoughts those brands were considered overpriced and low quality? Perhaps they do sweaters well?

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

How is there stuff nowadays? I know the company was sold and the old owners are now in charge of Ballantyne, but has Malo kept putting out great stuff? I never see it around here, but it was always fantastic.
    I don't know about the quality, but Malo has been producing a lot of cotton & wool sweaters lately. They used to be pretty much all about cashmere.