• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone recommend a shoe?

luxechic

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of decent-quality leather loafers, not too glossy, under $300 pref., comfortable, and, most importantly, one that has a good grip/non-slippery sole (is this even possible? Am I asking for too much?).  A gift for my father, his loafers are incredibly worn down/thin, would love to get him a pair but am clueless as to where to look.  Any particular brands/sites I should look into?

rlevine

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of decent-quality leather loafers, not too glossy, under $300 pref., comfortable, and, most importantly, one that has a good grip/non-slippery sole (is this even possible? Am I asking for too much?). Â A gift for my father, his loafers are incredibly worn down/thin, would love to get him a pair but am clueless as to where to look. Â Any particular brands/sites I should look into?
What about these? http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/117358.html They seem to fit your needs.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
What style of loafer are you looking for (eg, penny loafer? Â Gucci?), and what color? When/where will he wear them? How about these Allen Edmonds? Also these Paraboots might work.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of decent-quality leather loafers, not too glossy, under $300 pref., comfortable, and, most importantly, one that has a good grip/non-slippery sole (is this even possible? Am I asking for too much?).  A gift for my father, his loafers are incredibly worn down/thin, would love to get him a pair but am clueless as to where to look.  Any particular brands/sites I should look into?
check my site and call me for a discount on AE

luxechic

Reaction score
What style of loafer are you looking for (eg, penny loafer? Â Gucci?), and what color? When/where will he wear them? How about these Allen Edmonds? Also these Paraboots might work.
Actually I'm pretty open to that. Â They'd be used for work and daily wear. Â He never dresses casually, it's always slacks, dress shirt, shoes/boots and sometimes tie. Oh, and black is preferred but not necessary. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be checking those out.

luxechic

Reaction score
(luxechic @ 08 Jan. 2005, 01:23) I'm looking for a pair of decent-quality leather loafers, not too glossy, under $300 pref., comfortable, and, most importantly, one that has a good grip/non-slippery sole (is this even possible? Am I asking for too much?). Â A gift for my father, his loafers are incredibly worn down/thin, would love to get him a pair but am clueless as to where to look. Â Any particular brands/sites I should look into?
check my site and call me for a discount on AE
Sorry, pretty new here, what's your site's url? Thanks.

pjbacfl

Reaction score
I got a pair of Allen Edmonds Cameron style penny loafers for Christmas. By the way, I have lousy feet and it is difficult to find comfortable shoes.These are very comfy and broke in very easily. They go with everything, from dressy to casual. They are "burnished" burgandy finish, so not too glossy. At $235 at an Allen Edmonds store, I consider a good buy. I think they might fit your needs.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am constantly amazed that one would trust oneself to select the correct shoe size for a gift. Not to mention the fit and the style.

It is perhaps easier for a man? I hesitate to buy my husband shoes. I try on at least 25 pairs myself before one fits comfortably. And I'm not talking low-end propositions.

luxechic

Reaction score
I am constantly amazed that one would trust oneself to select the correct shoe size for a gift. Â Not to mention the fit and the style. It is perhaps easier for a man? Â I hesitate to buy my husband shoes. Â I try on at least 25 pairs myself before one fits comfortably. And I'm not talking low-end propositions.
Well actually all of my father's shoes are/were gifts. Â In his line of work he doesn't typically have the time to travel the 3+ hours to reach a more metropolitan area where they carry decent shoe brands and then further spend time trying on different pairs to find the one he prefers. Â If the time were available, he may possibly do that, but, that's not the case here. Â If it doesn't fit, or it isn't comfortable, it's always an easy option to just ship back and return (which has happened a few times in the past, though, generally, he is content with the pairs he receives). Also, he's fairly easy to shop for. He's very conservative and goes for plainer, more classic styles. The majority of his wardrobe consists of gifts or purchases either my mother or I have purchased for him online. Of course, this wasn't always the case, but it has been since he moved a few years ago. By the way, I'm actually also a female, and I do 95% of my shopping online. Â It's a matter of location, time, and preference. Â Also a matter of researching the fit/sizing of how a particular brand or style runs (whether it's shoes or clothing). Â I make about 10-15, sometimes more, purchases a month, and I've had to return about 5% of all my online purchases throughout the years due to ill fit. Â
biggrin.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I'm actually also a female, and I do 95% of my shopping online. Â It's a matter of location, time, and preference. Â Also a matter of researching the fit/sizing of how a particular brand or style runs (whether it's shoes or clothing). Â I make about 10-15, sometimes more, purchases a month, and I've had to return about 5% of all my online purchases throughout the years due to ill fit. Â
biggrin.gif
I am impressed. Â I have returned 98% of the clothes or shoes I ever bought online. Â Even if I stick to designers I know. Â I am slim and petite, which complicates matters, and perhaps particular to a fault. Given that there seems to be fewer options for a man's shoe, it has to be easier. Â Maybe I'll give it a try, one of these days I'm traveling without him and see a shoe model I know he would like.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luxechic,08 Jan. 2005, 2:27
By the way, I'm actually also a female, and I do 95% of my shopping online. Â It's a matter of location, time, and preference. Â Also a matter of researching the fit/sizing of how a particular brand or style runs (whether it's shoes or clothing). Â I make about 10-15, sometimes more, purchases a month, and I've had to return about 5% of all my online purchases throughout the years due to ill fit. Â
biggrin.gif

I am impressed. Â I have returned 98% of the clothes or shoes bought online. Â Even if I stick to designers I know. Â I am slim and petite, which complicates things, and perhaps particular to a fault. Given that there seems to be fewer options for a man's shoe, it has to be easier. Â Maybe I'll give it a try, one of these days I'm traveling without him and see a shoe model I know he would like.
I return a substantial amount of my online purchases, as I have a hard time finding that clothes that fit as well. Â I was thinking a few weeks ago how much money I have wasted on shipping and restocking fees.

luxechic

Reaction score
(Fabienne @ 08 Jan. 2005, 2:05)
Originally Posted by luxechic,08 Jan. 2005, 2:27
biggrin.gif

I am impressed. Â I have returned 98% of the clothes or shoes bought online. Â Even if I stick to designers I know. Â I am slim and petite, which complicates things, and perhaps particular to a fault. Given that there seems to be fewer options for a man's shoe, it has to be easier. Â Maybe I'll give it a try, one of these days I'm traveling without him and see a shoe model I know he would like.
I return a substantial amount of my online purchases as well. Â I have a hard time finding that clothes that fit as well. Â I was thinking a few weeks ago how much money I have wasted on shipping and restocking fees.
Are you female as well? Cause there are a number of forums/messageboards out there for women where most members are more than helpful in helping determine correct sizing for certain designers/styles. You can also find out which designers cater more to your particular body type. That's why I rarely have to return things. Also, a lot of times it's cheaper to buy online with the numerous discount codes available, plus lots of sites match coupon codes. I've saved tons of $$ this way, also another reason why I like to buy online. Take jeans for example, I own 15+ pairs of 'higher end' denim now. I've only paid retail for one, and over $100 for another, the rest were <$100, and all purchased @ online boutiques (as opposed to, say, eBay).

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am constantly amazed that one would trust oneself to select the correct shoe size for a gift. Not to mention the fit and the style.

I would do it in a very constrained set of circumstances (eg, I was with her when she tried it on; she liked the way it fit and the way it looked but concluded that she didn't want to spend the money; and I decided later to get it for her as a gift), but generally speaking, you're right. Unless someone is in a position to know exactly what I want and what will fit me, I don't want them to get me shoes as a gift.

It is perhaps easier for a man? I hesitate to buy my husband shoes. I try on at least 25 pairs myself before one fits comfortably. And I'm not talking low-end propositions.

It is if you know what you're doing. The fit is largely determined by the last used for the shoe and the style of shoe it is (ie, bal, blucher, loafer, monkstrap, etc.), and it's easy to determine what last a particular shoe was made on for most higher-end manufacturers. If you know that Edward Green bluchers made on the 808 last in size 9.5 E fit him well, you can order another blucher on 808 in size 9.5 E and expect that they will fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads