Can anyone recommend a cobbler in London?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rubbishtheory, Dec 1, 2009.

1. rubbishtheory

rubbishtheory Senior member

Hi
    I need a new pair of Dainite soles on some Grenson aviator boots -
    I have asked various cobblers in London and many of them either didn't know what a Dainite sole was
    or did not have the necessary technology to fit one.

Can anyone recommend a decent cobbler? preferably one who does not want £80+ to do the work.

Thanks in advance -

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

3. rubbishtheory

4. JPJ

JPJ Member

5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Senior member

Crockett & Jones have an 'approved' cobbler in London. They will also send on other makers shoes. A bit of a 'middle-man' arrangement it seems, but it's worth paying a bit more to save traipsing around...then settling for Timpson's. Alternatively, try The Shoe Healer.

6. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

theres a place called mayfair cobblers i think on the alleyway that joins piccadilly and shepherds market. just opposite green park. they do great work resoled my c&j. i think the street name is white horse street

7. rubbishtheory

I asked another local cobbler today and he said it was very hard work fitting a new Dainite sole and he needed a special machine to do it - he could fit leather soles but not Dainite.

8. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I asked another local cobbler today and he said it was very hard work fitting a new Dainite sole and he needed a special machine to do it - he could fit leather soles but not Dainite.

Makes absolutely no sense.
    Did you ask him why?

9. SammyD

SammyD Member

You could try Kokos in East Finchley - I had a couple of pairs of shoes resoled there and found them very good. I think that C&J use them for some work they outsource (but I may be wrong about this!). As I recall I paid about £60 or so - might be pushing on your £80 figure but definitely worth a phone call I'd have thought.

10. flatfront

flatfront Senior member

I too would strongly recommnend popping the shoes in to John Ruston - he will be able to help you.

11. rubbishtheory

Makes absolutely no sense. Did you ask him why?
    Thats what I thought - if you can fit leather soles to Goodyear Welted shoes/boots - why not Dainite ones - but he said it was to do with how hard it was to stitch through the Dainite - Sounded to me like he just didn't want to do it...

12. chroMe

chroMe Senior member

yeah, john is a nice guy, he gave me a discount on last pair of shoes I bought and if you tell him you'll be back to buy something or come to him for fixes; i'm sure he'll give you a percentage off too.

13. fox81

fox81 Senior member

You could try Kokos in East Finchley - I had a couple of pairs of shoes resoled there and found them very good. I think that C&J use them for some work they outsource (but I may be wrong about this!). As I recall I paid about £60 or so - might be pushing on your £80 figure but definitely worth a phone call I'd have thought.

i know the C&J recommended one is in finchley so its a safe bet

14. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I would second this.

15. londonj

londonj Senior member

Can anyone recommend a cobbler for re-soling in east london/the city? They're a pair of lower grade grensons so not worth spending £80, Timpsons charge £30 but I reckon I can get better results elsewhere for around that price?