• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone give me more info about this 1944 US Army duffle bag?

upstarter

Reaction score
I former tenant left this 1944 US Army duffel bag in his apartment (like 10 years ago) and it never occurred to me until last week that it might have historical/monetary value.

It says "US" on the outside, and on the inside "1944" and "TWEEDIES"

Any information about it's history or what it might be worth would be appreciated. I don't plan on selling it though.

Thanks!

http://usarmybag.tumblr.com/

Upstarter

in fits of print

Reaction score
I know nothing at all about militaria, but my guess would be that since A) It's a very simple, durable item and B) Every single person in the Army at the time would have had at least one, not to mention surplus, that the monetary value wouldn't be all that high.

They are pretty great though. I have two WWII Naval ones, one for each grandfather.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i used that same kind of bag in the army. there were millions of them made.
packing all of our belongings into it took a lot of ingenuity. when to transferred to another post we always placed the first needed items at the bottom of the bag. then when un loading we just dumped the whole load out. then guess what, those first items were on top of the pile.
i thing the name is the bags manufacture.
the soldiers name was usually stenciled in large letters the length of the bag.

upstarter

Reaction score
I didn't think it was worth much, but I was in an RRL store in Malibu and they had some "vintage" pieces of a similiar style that didn't look too special and were charging an arm and a leg.

I do think it's awesome though, so I would only sell it if itwas wirth an enormous amount.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics